outboard wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2011
looking looking pool
Hi,
I have a 83 johnson 7.5 o/b that ran great. I would use it 2-3 times a week and then again on the weekends pushes my hunter 22 just fine.
i went down to start it and nothing, has fresh gas/mix 32/1 and spark but how do you check how much spark your getting is it enough? is there a better test than just looking at the plug when you try to pull start it?

Thanks
KB

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Had a similar problem. I suggest you take the carb off and clean it. In particular check the float to see if it is stuck. Giving the carb bowl a good whack before you pull it might shake it loose too. Try that before you take it off, then try starting it again.

mr c

Aug 4, 2010
hunter sailboat 31 northport
Any Autoparts store sells a spark tester. This tester will guarantee their is enough spark to get it started. (12,000 volts min. To light the tester) hope this helps.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Make sure your kill switch is deactivated. Lemme tell you how I know...:dance:

Dec 3, 2010
Oday 25 N/A
I agree with BobM. If you pull the starter rope and the engine just spins and it doesn't sound like any combustion is happening you have 2 possible problems. You are not getting any gas in your air mixture or you are not getting any spark. If you have already verified spark, you can verify if fuel is making it to the cylinder. You can do this by removing the spark plugs and wiping them down with a cloth until the electrodes look dry. Be careful to not push to hard on the electrodes. Re-install the the spark plugs. If the engine has a primer ball press it 10 to 20 times and then pull the starter rope a couple times. If there is no primer bulb, turn the choke on and pull the starter rope about 10 times. Remove the spark plugs and check to see if the electrodes look wet. If they look the same as they did after you cleaned them, then there is a fuel supply problem. The most likely cause is the pin on the carb float has been gummed up.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Mine had just enough water in the carb bowl that algae grew and it clogged the main jet. Had to take it apart and completely clean everything and blow that jet out. Then it fired right up and runs fine.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
ethanol, the curse of the small outboard. How fresh is your "fresh" fuel? Clean the carb. Try and get gas without ethanol.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Does it turn over at all? Does it sound like it "wants" to start but just won't catch? Or does it really do "nothing"?

Jun 14, 2011
looking looking pool
Thanks for all the responses,

BobM tapped on the bowl didn't work not my luck.
mr c I asked my dad if he had one before I went to the store, daddy just smiled and retrieved one from his tool box.
Stu Jackson kill switch in not a problem
Jdratlif pulled the plug to have a look reinstalled pulled the choke and tried to start nothing ruined my nails lol and its about the same as before.
Allan12210 no water but ill take the carburetor apart to clean it and see.

Thanks for all your help,
KB

ps I don't like to work on engines in the rain, just saying

Jun 14, 2011
looking looking pool
Rick l fresh as in that day fresh didnt want to take a chance it was bad gas
Winkfish wants to start but wont catch.

Thanks
KB

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
Rick l fresh as in that day fresh didnt want to take a chance it was bad gas
Winkfish wants to start but wont catch.

Thanks
KB
Pull the plug, make sure it is not fouled, better to just install a new one. Put a squirt of carb cleaner into the cylinder and reinstall the plug. It the engine runs for a couple seconds and dies you have a fouled carb. It it doesnt start at all you probably have an ignition issue.

Years of working on 2 stroke motors as a motorcycle tech. most problems are simple as a
1 foulded plug
then look for
2 dirty fuel or carb
3 bad cdi
4 most unlikely bad coil
5 low compression

You must ground the plug when checking spark because many ignition systems can be damaged if you dont.

A good repair manual will walk you step by step through the diagnostics. Every one who works on their own engines should have one.

jimmyb

Jun 14, 2011
looking looking pool
well I pulled the carburetor apart looked clean to me, anyway went and let it sit overnight in carburetor cleaner reassembled it replaced new plugs more fresh gas/mix and starts right up
thanks for everyone's help.
KB

Status
Not open for further replies.