Outboard VS Tank Elevation

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm installing an outboard since my inboard needs more repairs than I have time for. It has a tank installed that sits fairly low. I plan on using the inboard tank. Should I be concerned about the difference in elevation between the tank and outboard? There is an electric fuel pump installed if it's an issue

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If it's made for an external tank it will have a fuel pump. The little motors with built in tanks usually don't, they're gravity feed.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The quick snap connectors should work but any little air leak will give you stalling problems.. New connections that are tight should be no trouble.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On an outboard you use the fuel bulb to pressurize the fuel line to put fuel into the carb until the OB starts and the internal pump takes over.
Do you have a plan for controlling the internal tank's fuel pump? Sounds risky if it can accidentally be left running when the OB is not running.
I think I would try installing a fuel bulb and by-passing the tank's fuel pump first.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I don't think he's talking about a fuel pump at the tank, it's the one in the OB he's wondering about. But right, you do the heavy lifting with the squeeze bulb the the OBs pump takes over. Once you get it primed it should be fine.