Outboard to rudder connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
While perusing Sailography's site I came across widgetsailor.com and found his simple and effective method of connecting a rudder to an outboard motor *http://www.widgetsailor.com/proframe.html
Great idea Widgetsailor!
Looks like the pipe and snap hook with a eye screw on the tiller could be used for a nice tiller extender too. Slide a golf bat grip on the pipe and save about $60.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I came up with a tiller to motor steering system after trying the rod idea. Wish I'd seen this post first, but I think my system works pretty well. Not yet tested on the water, but it tracks better than I can using one hand on each tller.

Best part is, it's easily adjusted, and I had all the parts in the shop. Since the pics were taken, I've added proper snap hook to connect the lines to the arms. Makes it easier to remove when taking the motor off to trailer.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Looks good GT.
My rudder is not hung from the stern, it's under the boat and your rig would work for me.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Rod setup

Attached see Catalina 25 setup. The rod on the motor has a long pin that drops down into the the rudder extension. When he wants to raise the motor or stop the combo he lifts the end out of the rudder and lays into the mount on the side of the motor. On this kind of setup the rod length and pivot points must be exact or binding will be a problem.

Attachments

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
While perusing Sailography's site I came across widgetsailor.com and found his simple and effective method of connecting a rudder to an outboard motor *http://www.widgetsailor.com/proframe.html
Great idea Widgetsailor!
I've been considering this for a long time, widgetsailor's idea is incredible. I have a motor to rudder alignment problem that promised no easy solution but that line/bungee setup looks great.

Thanks for posting.

Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
When I bought my boat, it came with a terrible port side of the stern motor mount. Because of this and a conventional tiller rudder configuration, I often times found myself with my butt facing the bow while I was trying to control the gears and throttle while approaching the dock. Very scary proposition and I had more than one crash into the slip.

I started looking for a method of controlling my motor from the tiller and found this.

http://www.powertiller.net/

Bought it and mounted my motor outboard behind and in line with the rudder and fixed it straight ahead so it operated like a permanent mounted motor. Now when want to shift gears adjust throttle etc. My boat handles like a grown up big boat. I can steer and control the forward and reverse and speed with ease all the while standing in the cockpit looking toward the dock and not approaching butt first like before.

It was an amazing find.

Here is the motor mount that I ended up making myself with stainless steel tubing. Only cost me about $300 to get it made.

http://mayersmotormount.com/index.php

Cheers,

Tom...

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
GT,
CHeck out the videos on the Power Tiller site, looks like your rig and it's doing great.
The Power Tiller looks like a huge improvement over leaning over the transom to operate the motor.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
GT,
CHeck out the videos on the Power Tiller site, looks like your rig and it's doing great.
The Power Tiller looks like a huge improvement over leaning over the transom to operate the motor.
That's where I stol...er was enlightened to the idea of the rope system. Still contemplating the Power Tiller. I don't need throttle control, just shifting. I tried Ken's (Lo Ki) idea for a remote shift linkage, but it failed and sheared off a couple of teeth ($675!).

There's a guy locally that has a lot of old cable-based controlers, but I can never get him on the phone.

Apr 19, 2012
Catalina Capri Flagler Beach
When I bought my boat, it came with a terrible port side of the stern motor mount. Because of this and a conventional tiller rudder configuration, I often times found myself with my butt facing the bow while I was trying to control the gears and throttle while approaching the dock. Very scary proposition and I had more than one crash into the slip.

I started looking for a method of controlling my motor from the tiller and found this.

http://www.powertiller.net/

Bought it and mounted my motor outboard behind and in line with the rudder and fixed it straight ahead so it operated like a permanent mounted motor. Now when want to shift gears adjust throttle etc. My boat handles like a grown up big boat. I can steer and control the forward and reverse and speed with ease all the while standing in the cockpit looking toward the dock and not approaching butt first like before.

It was an amazing find.

Here is the motor mount that I ended up making myself with stainless steel tubing. Only cost me about $300 to get it made.

http://mayersmotormount.com/index.php

Cheers,

Tom...
Tom, when did you purchase from PowerTiller? I've been trying to reach them for over a year with no response...

Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
I got it late in the fall of 2010 and never got it installed until spring of 2011, tried it out in the Dubuque Marina in the Mississippi under horrible conditions, high water, high wind, and yet I was able to dock and tie up several times right from the start with little or no problems.

I had lost the installation instructions for my older model Honda, and I just hounded Bill the owner by email and called all his phone numbers including his wifes business number which I found by looking him up using white pages and found her association with him and her business, she has some sort of med supply company there in AZ. He finally got back to me and promptly sent me replacement instructions.

I don't know what method finally worked to get him to respond. Seems too bad that a guy that has a good product that there is a market for is not more responsive. Oh' well, may be he is independently wealthy and really doesn't need the money.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
If you don't land on the page where the article starts then scroll down and you will find it. I really liked this setup.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...ing-my-slip-strong-currents-4.html#post606388

c_witch
That's a cool rig Brina, I like the PDF for the linkage!
I think if he came off the top starboard side of the rudder with a horizontal piece of aluminum angle (orS/S tubing) that stuck out the same distance as the attachment on the OB cowl and did away with the linkage angle, he wouldn't have the binding issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.