Outboard Tilt Release Issue

Apr 4, 2019
Hunter 27-2 Kerr Lake, NC
Take a look at this picture:
outboard.JPG

(and first, this image is from before we bought it -- the boat is now clean)

My concern is raising and lowering the tilt. The way the tilt on that motor works is that in order to release the tilt you have to raise the engine even higher than it is there and then lower it back down. However, you'll note that that motor is currently turned the wrong side up. For this model of outboard the engine should never be laid down on its side with the tiller handle up, but on this bracket there is no other way to release the tilt. There's not enough clearance to tilt the engine any higher when it's centered, and the tiller blocks it if it's turned the other way so that the tiller is down. But when you put it in this position and then raise it up, it's nearly horizontal. I don't have an image how high it goes on my boat, but here's a screengrab of a really crappy video from Mercury about the tilt:

tilt.png

That screenshot shows it nearly horizontal at the top of the range, and the stand he's using seems to be at a steeper angle than my transom, which means that it would be even more horizontal on my boat.

As it happens, I've recently replaced the motor with a brand new one that I am installing this weekend, and I do not want to run the risk of damaging it. For starters, my plan is add a spacer board on the aft side of the transom mount to move the engine a little further away from the boat to give me a tiny bit more room, but it's not going to give me that much and I don't think it's going to fix the problem.

Am I being overly concerned? Is a momentary tilt in the wrong direction just not going to have any effect worth worrying about? Or should I consider ditching the bracket I have in favor of a lifting bracket or something?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You don't lay it on that side in order to keep oil from finding its way into the carb. But if you tilt it for only a few moments.... it should not hurt anything. If you only tilt it to lower the motor, it will never be tilted in the wrong way for more than a moment.

Apr 4, 2019
You don't lay it on that side in order to keep oil from finding its way into the carb. But if you tilt it for only a few moments.... it should not hurt anything. If you only tilt it to lower the motor, it will never be tilted in the wrong way for more than a moment.
Awesome. Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The only way you'll fix the problem is to install a different style motor mount bracket. Preferably one that raises and lowers. Because of the curved transom you might need an adapter piece, but that shouldn't be to much problem. In any event, replacing the fixed bracket with an aluminum lifting style will allow the motor to be raised high enough to clear the step so you can more easily access the tilt latch.

Apr 4, 2019
The only way you'll fix the problem is to install a different style motor mount bracket. Preferably one that raises and lowers. Because of the curved transom you might need an adapter piece, but that shouldn't be to much problem. In any event, replacing the fixed bracket with an aluminum lifting style will allow the motor to be raised high enough to clear the step so you can more easily access the tilt latch.
Yeah, that's probably a change for next winter when I have the boat pulled again. Joe suggested above that the motor would be fine for the short period it's in that horizontal position, but I agree that not having to do it at all would be better. But that's not something I want to take on while the boat's still in the lake. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2019
Amazing. I put the new motor on the bracket today and it tilts perfectly fine. No contact with the boat. Mercury must have changed the form factor for the powerhead or moved it a little bit out. Either way, I’m all set.