Outboard Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2009
2 25' power sailor Thunder Bay
My 25' Lancer came with a 40 hp Johnson. Sounds like just dead weight, can anyone tell me how fast they get going on what size outboard they have?

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
There used to be a lot of information on this site, but unfortunately most was lost. If I recall correctly, your boat can probably handle up to a 90 hp. Most owners abandoned any high speed aspirations and mount 9.9 hp outboards. From what I recall from the literature that used to be up here they claimed a 50 hp might get you to 15 knots, so a 40 hp is probably similar. Given the exaggeration typical in marketing I'd probably hazard that your 40 hp might get you to 10-12 knots...but hey...that's twice as fast as most 25 footers.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 22 Marina Del Rey, CA CA
On my 25', Lancer non power-sailer, I have a Nissan, 8 HP, 4 cycle and make hull speed at about 1/2 power. I get more (6+ knots at full power) At 1/2 power I am getting 8 miles per gallon and even better with the main up.
Novelman

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
It may be worth it to you to stay in that range, it's pretty handy for me with 10 miles of winding narrow slough to traverse on my way to the Bay, my 27 mounts a Honda 150 four stroke. If you're a purist, go with a small motor. I have contact info if you need it for a guy that sold Lancer boats and for the price of postage he sent me sales literature, granted it's a little exaggerated.

Rich

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Argo, your image looks like the back end of a 27 power sailor, not a 25. Anyway...

I have 9.9 and I get hull speed at about 3/4 throttle. On top of that, good gas mileage. So you may want to think this both ways, hull speed and consumption rate.

Jul 19, 2009
Lancer 25 MK 4? still searching this Trailer sailer,,, Louisville
My outboard lift is only rated for a 9.9,,, so I stuck with that with a new 9.9 4 stroke. I believe the 4 stroke is heavier than a 2 stroke so I am supporting the bracket with extra backing inside the boat...

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Tohatsu makes most of the "portable" 4-strokes, Honda is the exception..The 8hp engine is identical to the 9.9 except in price..If you want remote controls, buy an engine that has them..Converting a "tiller" engine can be a nightmare..

Status
Not open for further replies.