Outboard size

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jazzman

I bought a 1978 C-22 about two months ago. The outboard I got with the boat is a 1984 honda 100 (9.9). The local repair shop wants about $750.00 to replace a fuel pump, water pump, carburetor, and bent transom bracket bolts. Although the 9.9 seemed more than adequate for the c-22 when it was running well, I am somewhat reluctant to spend that kind of cash on an old outboard. The dealer suggested I trade the old 9.9 for a new 2.0 hp Honda four stroke for about the same money as my repair bill for the 9.9. I am wondering if a 2hp outboard is going to be big enough for the C-22. The dealer assures me that the 2hp is more than enough. Any advice to a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

D

David Williams

Outboard

I got rid of my 2 horse and bought a 4. The 2 was good for loading my boat and such. The 4 horse will push my boat at hull speed using 1/2 throttle; the only time I use my outboard is when the wind is not blowing and the water is flat. Catalina recommends 4 through 8 horse motor. David

B

Bob Shafer

C 22 outboard size

I had a C 22 for 15 years. I had a Mercury 4.5 for about 8 years before it got stolen. It had barely enough power when going into a strong wind. I got then an Evinrude 8 and it was great. I would recommend at least 6 hp. I think 9.9 is probably too much power for a 22' boat like the Catalina.

B

Ben

2hp is a bit low

2hp would do fine in flat water and no wind, but if you ever need to go against tidal current or wind, you'd probably wish for more. I've been happy with my 5hp engine (on a capri 22, is the standard 22 any heavier?), 4 would probably work well too. 9.9 probably isn't necessary but you never know when you'll want the extra power in reserve.

B

Barry Lenoble

Nissan 5 HP

Hello, My 81 C 22 came with a Nissan 5 HP. It works great. There is plenty of power. I think you could do less but I don't know if 2 HP would be enough. Barry

K

ken

Jazzman............ I would buy nothing less than a 5 HP...... no matter what you buy......... make sure it is a long shaft......... 20"..... otherwise you will not be a happy camper.

T

tomD

4-6 recommended

2.5 hp per 1,000 lbs of displacement hull is a good rule of thumb. Catalina recommends 4-6 hp, alot of folks have more, the Honda 8 and 9.9 are very popular--but heavy. I went with a Nissan single syclinder 4 stroke 6 hp and put it to the test bucking a squall, heavy rollers and wind right on the beak. With the long shaft, the 6 hp did the job, but I am grateful I was not using my 2 hp Evinrude!

A

Alan

Bigger is better

Bigger is always better than 2hp. I personally have a 9hp Mariner and I'm very pleased with it. Bought it used, works great for a $400 bid! Go to E-bay my friend, you can always find some great deals there. Imagine 2-4' waves, 20mph winds, 10-15 miles from shore. Now how well would a 2.2hp work? Please....if the dealer told you 2.2hp was enuf, he's full of potatoes.

T

Ted

Does the old motor . . .

. . . really need all that work? If so, you may want to sell it "as is" to someone who can fix it up. Then you could buy new one and have absorbed some of the cost with the sale of the old motor. If the motor works, then you may want to get a second opinion on any work to be done. Go with a 6-8 hp. Regards, Ted

J

john renfro

put-put

hello jazzman, i think you need to go to another shop, $ 750.00 seems to high. i have had a johnson 6.5 for a while and have been satisfied. i think 2.0 would just be cute. good luck john

B

bernie

in the same boat!

jazzman, after speaking to a ton of folks and doing some research i ordered a yahama 6hp, 4 stroke. it wieghs about 83lbs but it was still lighter than the old 9.9 hp. the results of my research was this. the epa is going to order 4 strokes on most boats, they run cleaner and very quiet. also the 6hp seems to be a good size for where i sail on the long island sound. i would be afraid of getting anything smaller for the sound. i hope you find the perfect motor for your '78

K

ken

honda 2hp

I sail on a small lake in ohio and use a honda 2hp.This is more then I need,but if I had thoughts on sailing a larger boby of water I would be scared to rely on this little motor to get me home.Also if you race it is required that you have at least a 4hp.The need for hp depends on where you plan to sail.I love my little honda. ken

Status
Not open for further replies.