outboard power for 30'

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

I have the opportunity to pick up a used 30' cheap but the engine was submerged in salt water during a storm. It appears the cost to repower with a A30 or like sized dsl would be cost prohibitive. Does anyone know if it is possible to power with a outboard(say 25 hp)? I don't cruise long distances, mostly daysail & weekend trips. My biggest concern is going through inlets. Any comments greatly appreciated! Thanks

B

Bob

Seen 'em on an Ericson 36!!

Well Steve, what an interesing situation. One thing you have going for you is that the transom is flat, very accessible from the inside to bolt through a mount and alight boat to begin with. Down the dock from me was an older Ericson 36 that lost its diesel to wear and he mount a Honda 7.5 off the back. It was weird watching him tool around, but it sure worked fine for him. Consideirng your going to be dealing with those Carolina tides and currents you can probably get by with no less then a 10-15 horse engine. Most of the 15Hp engines share the same size chasis as their smaller 8-10 hp sisters, like Honda for example. It will be a bear to hang over the transom, especially if their is a stern pulpit to lift it after each use. A fuel line and plastic tank would be easy for the cockpit. Controls (throttle and gear) would be another issue!! Which ever engine you choose, make sure its a long shaft to get a good bite if you have following seas coming in the inlet. A 25 hp new outboard can be some major bucks. I would weigh out a used diesel and R&R costs if your looking at over 2k to put an outboard on. good luck Bob '88 Catalina 30

Apr 10, 2006
- - St. Petersburg, Fl
hard to keep prop in water

My dad has a irwin 30 with a 9.9 yamaha high thrust engine with 25 inch shaft. It pushes the boat no problem. The problem comes with keeping the prop in the water. Motoring at hull speed the boats swell keeps it the water better. But in a inlet with waves it will come out of the water. This engine and bracket is probally 3,000 dollars or more. See if you can rebuild your engine or find a used inboard may be something to research.

Status
Not open for further replies.