outboard on 32 foot sailboat

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I had a 30 ft newport with an inboard atomic 4 engine. I have a Hunter H26 with a little 9.9 Honda outboard. I am looking at a nice 32 foot Erickson which is perfect except for the engine. My question (finally) is - is it a good idea to just install an outboard? My rationale is it is cheaper, it is more convenient to repair, it frees up valuable space inside the boat. The only downsides I can think of are it doesn't look as cool, and it will add weight on one side of the boat, which I consider minor. Any thoughts or experiences?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While an outboard can be mounted on a boat not designed for an outboard, it will be a disappointing experience for a boat as large as a 32' boat.

The biggest issue will be getting the prop deep enough in the water to be effective. If the prop is not deep enough it will come out of the water every time the boat goes over a wave. Sailing characteristics will also be affected by hanging a 100+ pound motor a foot or more aft of the transom. The will cause hobby horsing which will help to bring the prop out of the water.

Changing to an outboard will also mean loosing battery charging capability. It also introduces fuel storage issues.

A far better option would be to spend the money to install a 20 hp Beta Diesel.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My thoughts were similar to dlochner's. He said it all very well. I don't see why it can't be done, I don't think the transom offset will have any serious effect on trim, but I don't see it working well at sea. If you're out where you get pooped a lot, you may find yourself spending money on repairs you need not spend.

-Will

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
it doesn't look as cool,
That really should be enough of a downside to swamp the whole idea.
I am not joking!

gary

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I find the 9.9 on the back of my O'Day 25 to be underpowered compared to it's 15hp inboard that constantly needs repairs. The inboard prop is over a foot deeper into the water and stops the boat like it has brakes. The outboard has a lot of prop walk which makes docking difficult. Outboards are also noisy

As far as fuel storage, you could use the inboard tank if you decide to go with an outboard. As an added bonus you can use your existing fuel filter/water separator (who knows what's floating around in that tank after all these years) and even the fuel pump for priming

As someone mentioned on here a week or so ago, your resale value will be about 10k lower and it will take longer to sell

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
As someone mentioned on here a week or so ago, your resale value will be about 10k lower and it will take longer to sell
I agree. I'm learning that it doesn't take much to nix a sale. I just had a very keen potential customer for my boat walk away because his wife won't get on board a boat with a two stroke! He actually offered to buy my boat without the motor, so he could put a four stroke on it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I agree. I'm learning that it doesn't take much to nix a sale. I just had a very keen potential customer for my boat walk away because his wife won't get on board a boat with a two stroke! He actually offered to buy my boat without the motor, so he could put a four stroke on it.
Try the Amsoil 100:1. Little to no smoke once the engine warms up

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Try the Amsoil 100:1. Little to no smoke once the engine warms up
I didn't even run the engine! It was just the fact that it's a two stroke that put her off. She had a bad experience once, apparently, that she attributed to the engine having been a two stroke.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I didn't even run the engine! It was just the fact that it's a two stroke that put her off. She had a bad experience once, apparently, that she attributed to the engine having been a two stroke.
I think that just falls into the category of bad luck, Tedd, could have been anything that put her off but I get your point.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
While an outboard can be mounted on a boat not designed for an outboard, it will be a disappointing experience for a boat as large as a 32' boat.

The biggest issue will be getting the prop deep enough in the water to be effective. If the prop is not deep enough it will come out of the water every time the boat goes over a wave. Sailing characteristics will also be affected by hanging a 100+ pound motor a foot or more aft of the transom. The will cause hobby horsing which will help to bring the prop out of the water.

Changing to an outboard will also mean loosing battery charging capability. It also introduces fuel storage issues.

A far better option would be to spend the money to install a 20 hp Beta Diesel.
Great advice I've been trying to find a price for one but can't Does anyone know approximately how much that motor is new?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My brother just put a brand new beta in his boat. It was a bigger motor as he has a bigger boat so your cost would be less. He had it professionally installed as he is not a DIYer. Total cost was just under $18k. That did not include a prop as his was fine and sized well for the new engine. Lucky him. That did include rebuilding the engine bed and some other goodies. Don’t recall all the details. I will say having it done professionally is a good way to go unless you have experience doing this. There were some tricky alignment issues that came up that the installer totally had under control.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
What engine is in the Ericson now and why do you think it is not serviceable? Engines can get beyond repair but sometimes a few parts and some elbow grease can get them running again? Also, you may be able to find a used or rebuilt engine the same as the one in there which will keep the cost down quite a bit. A friend just replaced the engine in his Viking 28. He paid $500 for a running, smoke free, engine and 3 of us got the old one out and the "new" one in. This was a 1 cylinder, 2 stoke gas inboard so probably cheaper than most but it was the direct replacement so very easy to swap out.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
If the old engine is an Atomic 4 and it can't not be economically repaired, the Beta 16 drop in replacement is the motor you'll want.

Give Beta a call and talk to them. The total cost will be somewhere around $10K depending on options and how much work you do yourself.

Or contact Moyer Marine for a replacement Atomic 4.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I’d say @dlochner is just about spot on. Given what my brother had done, the almost double engine size from the 16, $10k is a good ball park number. I’ll add in that beta is really nice! The way beta has everything set up for access to filters and everything you need to maintain that engine later is really well thought out. Plus they are darned quiet, smooth and powerful!

dj

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We replaced an OEM Universal 23 hp diesel in 2018. With some outside (expert) labor from a ship wright the total bill was about 15K for an optioned-out Beta25. Wonderful and quiet engine with ample power. I did all of the clean up of the engine bay and installed new ancillary parts like the fuel system.
A Betamarine twin or their 20 hp would be plenty for that boat.

Sounds like you are taking about an Ericson 32-2, they are a modern ocean-worthy classic. Great sailing boats and fast. Designed by Bruce King.
Ask more question(s) on the large owners' site at www.ericsonyachts.org.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
An OB on the stern of a boat with LOA over 27' greatly limits your ability to manuever the boat. If all you do is drop off/on a mooring then a OB can do the job. But maneuvering a boat with an OB in a marine is very tough, unless, a second knowledgeable person can assist steering the boat with the OB. Handling even a Colgate 26 within a marina takes two people.