Outboard on 1979 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg Garner

I have to replace the Renault RC8D. Has anyone replaced with an outboard? If so, what size? Was it best to mount in the center of the transom or on one side or the other? If I go to an outboard, what engine size HP?

B

Butch

outboard on 79 30

We have a YSM 12. It was hard to start and smoked. I knew it needed a rebuild. Outboard mount already on boat, so I bought 9.8 extra long shaft. On a week long cruise the Yanmar gave up. The 9.8 did great. I removed the Yanmar and had it rebuilt. Now we are the only sailboat around with twin screws. The 2 cycle elec start outboard pushes the boat as fast as the Yanmar. It is noisy and uses more fuel - about 1 gal per hour. I don't like it in rough water. Otherwise it was well worth $2000 we spent. With both motors I can keep up with the big boys. Cheaper than a repower.

G

Greg Garner

outboard on 79 27

Thanks. I am leaning toward a 9.9 Merc 4-stroke, electric start with a long shaft mounted to an adjustable height mount...

D

Dan Bryant

chop concern

I would lean toward a replacement (used) diesel inboard before I went to an outboard. I don't know your sailing waters, but I've seen more than one sailboat go aground in a storm chop when the see-sawing of boat cut the effectiveness of the outboard. I had one on a 25' boat and I vowed never again - heavy chop is the one time I want to be able to rely on my engine. BTW: How did the RC8D die? Anything I need to be aware of on mine?

G

Greg Garner

outboard on 79 30

I am not sure about the reasons for the demise of the Renault. The boat had been abandoned (Lake Lanier in Georgia) at a marina. I took it over. The top half of the engine is in parts. I have the alternator, the water pump, head, etc. When I investigated replaceing the piston ($550.00) and a gasket kit ($120.00) I decided to investigate going with outboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.