outboard motor

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
have a chance to get a new 6 hp mercury outboard short shaft at a reduced price, hoping i can use it on a macgregor venture 17 even if i have to do a little adjusting on the transom mount, anyone used a short shaft on a venture 17?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Take a look at the attached articles on shaft lengths and outboard mounting bracket. If you need a longer shaft you might be able to purchase a kit from these guys:

Attachments

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
It usually isn't worth doing the conversion. I wouldn't consider it and I'm a cheap bastard and quite handy.

Nov 28, 2017
Venture V-17 1143 Ludington, MI
When I got my Venture 17 many years ago it came with a short shaft. This was barely adequate only in flat, calm, water. As soon as you hit some swells or chop the motor will be popping out of the water and did not work well. So I guess it depends on your sailing, or motoring, conditions. I quickly changed over to a long shaft Mariner 4 which has worked excellent ever since.

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
thanks for all the advice,have been restoring the boat,when i put it in the water will post a reply how everything worked

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Had Merc 4 shortshaft on our Venture 21. worked great.