Outboard Motor Mount recommendation?

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Hi, am replacing my older, flimsy aluminum motor mount and 5 hp pull start Honda outboard with a new mount and a larger / heavier 8 hp electric start outboard. I have looked hard for a suitable mount for this heavier motor and found a Catalina Direct 3 spring or a Panther Marine tech mount that look adequate. Any advice? Long or extra long shaft motor? Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Get the longest shaft available. Mount a sturdy backing plate to the new motor mount and make sure it is rated in excess for the weight of the engine.

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Thanks, Benny, I appreciate it. Long shaft and a robust installation. I am interested in specific brands of mounts, manual versus electrical lift mechanisms (not trim), needed setback from the transom, etc. Thanks!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Find out how much your new engine weights and get a mount that can handle 150% of this weight
Also find out the height of travel if it will lift it out of water.
Always remove the engine when trailering.
Haro

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Thanks all, but I am looking for advice on a transom mounted motor mount.... Like Catalina direct or Marine tech1581265569701.png
1581265569701.png

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hi, am replacing my older, flimsy aluminum motor mount and 5 hp pull start Honda outboard with a new mount and a larger / heavier 8 hp electric start outboard. I have looked hard for a suitable mount for this heavier motor and found a Catalina Direct 3 spring or a Panther Marine tech mount that look adequate. Any advice? Long or extra long shaft motor? Thanks!
I installed a CD three spring for my daughter’s then C25. She had a 9.9 Two stroke that weighed 75 lbs. The three spring was so strong that I had to disengage one of the springs. The three spring CD mount was very smooth and well constructed. I’m sure it would handle the 8 hp Honda easily.

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Hi Mike, this is very helpful, thanks. Last question....my current transom mounted motor bracket is attached to a plastic "slanting box?" which tilts the mount away from the top of the transom for more setback for the motor tiller. It is about 4" thick / deep at the top, tapering to zero at the bottom, and 5 1/4" wide. The CD mount is 1 " wider so I may need a new one. Do you know if these are commercially available and if so, where? Thanks.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hi Mike, this is very helpful, thanks. Last question....my current transom mounted motor bracket is attached to a plastic "slanting box?" which tilts the mount away from the top of the transom for more setback for the motor tiller. It is about 4" thick / deep at the top, tapering to zero at the bottom, and 5 1/4" wide. The CD mount is 1 " wider so I may need a new one. Do you know if these are commercially available and if so, where? Thanks.
Hmmm. I would start with Catalina Direct or sailboatowners.com.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The mounting bracket from CD is manufactured by Garhauermarine.com . They sell them Directly to the public, although they are not listed on their website. You can call them for more information.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Sage Marine uses only the Garhauer Marine (Catalina Direct) mounts. Although Garelick, the original supplier of "2 stroke" mounts for O'day has since updated and made new mounts for 4 strokes, from what I've seen and discussed with the former production manager of Sage Marine, if I decided to replace my mount, I would only go for the Garhauer mount. It is very well built and smooth working. Because it is available with different spring configurations, it can hold the weight of almost any small outboard for a sailboat.

I'll also second the notion that you should go for the longest shaft motor you can get, which is usually a 25" shaft, often found on "Sail Pro" model motors. The other usual sizes are 15", and so called "long shaft" at 20", but for a sailboat where you want to keep the prop in the water and driving at all times in steep, rough seas, the 25" shaft is recommended.

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Thank you! I went with a 25" Honda 8 HP4 stroke and a Catalina Direct 3 spring with backing rails.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I was wondering how this combination of motor and mount worked out. I have a catalina 22 and I am considering the same set-up. Not sure if I need 3 spring or 2 spring mount. Thanks