Outboard Motor mount on S2 8.0

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
I want to mount a new outboard motor mount on the trans. of a S2 8.0 that is in my shop and I'm not sure where the water line is as the boat has been out of the water and has been repainted. Does anyone have a measurement for the water line at the stern and or how deep they think the cav. plate should be below water line to keep it under in moderate waves. Also any preferences as to port or starboard. There is a ladder in the center of stern that could be moved if needed but only if worth the effort.

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Hi Mike,
Figure the water Line being very close to where your bottom paint meets the Gel cote or where the bottom gel cote white stripe is (if you have that like mine does).
I set mine up so that when the motor bracket was at its mid setting (like you see in my album) the cavitation plate would be a few inches below the perceived water line. That way i could let it down further if needed under choppy conditions. I leaned towards having the motor able to go lower than is most likely needed but this takes away from being able to get the motor up and out of the water when at rest. You'll have to make that decision on your own.
I have not got the boat in the water as of yet so i cant answer any questions on how it performs but hopefully very soon in next month or 2. No matter how low the motor is capable of dropping I anticipate that it will come out of the water under the right conditions, however; under those conditions i expect to be under sail 99% of the time.
For placement off center line, I dont think it matters much, I placed mine as close to center line as I could. My ladder is off to the port side so all i needed to do was ensure i missed the cockpit drain structure with the mount bolts. I haven't posted pics but I've added a secondary motor mount off to the starboard for an electric trolling motor ( I like backup systems).
Some guys mount their motor brackets direct to the transom which i guess works great. I preferred to sandwich the transom between 2 pieces of star board (inside and outside). I think it adds support as well as a cleaner look and i would suggest you do the same. I also used 5200 sealant between star board and transom both inside and outside). Make sure you mask everything off before mounting with the 5200 keeps you from getting that nasty stuff all over.
As for my inboard tank, No, i dont have any issues with the fuel pump pulling up from the tank through the water seperator. I did however rebuild my fuel pump because I was afraid of same thing.
Please ask any further questions you need to. I'll keep an eye open for your replies.
PS, when you do mount get a second hand to help. it makes it a lot easier holding everything in place when your bolting down.
Good luck and thanks for asking;)

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
depending on how much load you carry, the water line on an S2/8 will be 6-8 vertical inches below the bottom of the transom.... where the transom meets the bottom.
because the boat has a small amount of overhang, its impossible to get it perfect for all sea conditions, but a long shaft motor is a must.....

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Thank You guys for the help. Didn't want to guess and end up with extra holes. Jlillie: what a nice job w/ you boat! I've done a lot of glass work build or repair but not much woodwork. Your workmanship looks super with materials and products well thought out.
Thank You both again
Mike

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
I agree with Centerline. Long shaft is a must. I've seen Evenrude/Johnson Yachtwins with the extra long shaft (like mine) in good condition going for around 700 around my area. I got lucky and got mine for less then half that because it was not running and it only took a few parts to get her going. Then spent around 200 for all the remote control stuff.
MM; Post some pics of your boat when you can. Like to see what she looks like.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Look carefully on the hull near where you think the waterline might be. Some builders leave a small scratch mark at the bow and stern to indicate where the designed waterline should be.