Outboard Motor for Ranger 20

Dec 26, 2013
Ranger 20 Vancouver, WA
Hello,
Recently bought a Ranger 20. Looking for advice on the right outboard motor for it. Specifically, wondering if the 6 HP Tohatsu SailPro Long Shaft - 25 inch shaft - will work? Will that motor be clear of the water when not being used, in the "up" position?

Plan on using it in the Columbia River, Puget Sound, San Juan Islands, and maybe some lakes.

Thanks.

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
More power than you need, but you do get reverse gear with 6 hp. I would think 4 HP/20" shaft would suffice. (standard shaft is 15" - too short) Measurement is from motor mount bracket to cavitation plate just above prop. Measure your transom from motor mount to waterline. Don't know if you have a two-position motor mount or not.

Dec 26, 2013
Ranger 20 Vancouver, WA
TLW,
Thanks for the reply. I am a sailboat newbie owner. A local sailor advised me to go for the 6 HP motor to better handle the currents on the Columbia River and certain places in Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. Like you say, reverse is also very handy. Just wondering if the 25 inch shaft might work better in waves so as to keep the prop in the water instead of having it come clear of the water in waves. But at the same time, it has to ride clear of the water when not being used and is in the up position.
Not sure if my motor mount is a two position or not. I'll check.
Thanks.

May 16, 2020
Ranger 20 Spokane
I know this is an old thread, but I am curious what came of this. How did the motor fit/work?