Outboard lift problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom See

A question.. There is a 7ft tide where I boat. The original 6hp Evenrude on my 85 O'Day was not quite adequate for a 4to 5 knot current. I purchased a new 9.9hp 4stroke Evevrude that weighs 115 lbs. The old moter weighed 64 lbs. Once the new motor is lowered in the water it is too heavy to lift back out due to springs on the motor mount being not stong enough to lift it. What can be done?? I can't leave it in the water due to rapid fouling in warm water. Any suggestions???

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Garhauer

Tom, I recently replaced my motor mount with a unit from Garhauer. Cost about $150. Around 14 inches of lift, and plenty of spring to assist with a 9.9. Installation cost me a couple of extra holes but nothing too traumatic. Jusin - O'day Owner's Web

B

Ben Allen / O'Day 26

Motor Lift

If your boat has a stern rail, you can rig up a block and tackle system to help raise the motor. Otherwise, a new motor mount designed for the heavier 4 stroke engines will be in order.

M

Mark Westerham

LIfting the Motor Out Of The Water

I have a 9.9 Yamaha and it was hard to lift out of the water also. I tied a line around the lever used to lift so I was able to stand and pull the motor up.

J

Jim Farley

Outboard motor lifting

Tom, I had a similar problem with lifting the outboard on a O'Day 20. The motor is a Honda 8 (four) with alternator, weight 88 lbs. I have to tilt the motor and can manage to lift it but empathize with your problem. A local marine outfit (Hamilton Marine) sells a harness for lifting outboard motors which I believe can allow a mechanical advantage by allowing you to use a secure position in lifting the heavier motor. You may need help in releasing the spring-loaded motor mount as you lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.