Outboard internal fuel tank

Udi

Mar 23, 2021
Hunter 45 ds 2010 Jaffa
Hi All!
Does anybody have an idea here can I find internal fuel tank fo a Mercury 4 HP 4 stroke 7# prop' outboard engie.
Thanks.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If I'm not mistaken, the small Mercury outboards are identical to Tohatsu outboards, so you could try them too.

• Helpful

Udi

Mar 23, 2021
Hunter 45 ds 2010 Jaffa
How much capacity do you want? Might look for a Moeller Marine Portable Fuel Tanks | Moeller Marine portable fuel tank. I have a 3 gallon on my dinghy with a 9.9 hp Mercury outboard. They come in various sizes for example:

3 gallon: Amazon.com : Moeller Ultra3 Portable Fuel Tank, 3 Gallon with EPA Cap : Boat Fuel Tanks : Sports & Outdoors
9 gallon: Amazon.com : Moeller 9-Gallon Portable Fuel Tank : Sports & Outdoors

Hi!
Thanks. actually what I'm looking for is for the internal tank of the engine, and the engine is a 4HP Mercury 4 stroke eng'.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Google is your friend (as in Google: mercury outboard parts, select the second link that pops up), but here you go:

Mercury 4hp inboard parts (you have to figure out which is your series of 4hp inboards)
Mercury - Outboard - 4HP OEM Parts | Boats.net

One example of the parts diagram (may or may not be your particular 4hp outboard series, of which there are three):
Mercury Outboard 4HP OEM Parts Diagram for INTEGRAL FUEL TANK | Boats.net

Looks like BoatParts may not have the item in stock, but it gives you the fuel tank part number, which should help out quite a bit. A quick look around did show that they appear to largely be unavailable - not sure if that's a supply issue or that they just don't make it anymore. Here's a link to a UK place that at least doesn't say its unavailable, but you'll have to inquire:

FUEL TANK EPA Models 1200-8M0072284 Mercury Mariner Spares & Parts | ChasNewensMarine (chastheboat.co.uk)

This shows its in stock (whether that's true or not):

FUEL TANK (#8M0056966) | PerfProTech.com
INTEGRAL FUEL TANK - 2006 Mariner Outboard 4 [MH 4] 7F04201ZL | Crowley Marine

BTW, there's two versions of the tanks for these outboards. One for the later models is EPA compliant, meaning it has no vent when the tank heats up. The other is the older version which will vent.

Good luck.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is also unavailable in boats.net but they do have the tank for the Tohatsu (maker of small Mercury outboards) and the diagrams look similar at $61.58. If your existing tank is leaking it can probably be Plastic Welded. Check in YouTube for a video on how to weld plastic outboard tanks. The process is pretty simple but make sure you hose and clean the tank before applying heat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Call any Mercury dealer. I believe West Marine is one. They also have a parts department. Start there.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I also had a 4HP Mercury. It was made by Tohatsu. Super finicky about how it's transported and often times very difficult to start. The 5hp and possibly one or two others are nearly identical so that might make it easier to find a part. I'd search ebay or hook up an external tank