Outboard horesepower for my C22

Aug 2, 2026
33
Catalina 22 Hudson River
Hello again. I'm in the process of winterizing my C22. I realize I have a Suzuki DF4A which came with the boat when I bought it. This seems like it mght be undersized? Is a 4HP engine of any use with my C22? I mainly need it in dead wind situations, for docking, and maybe if we just need to get somewhere. I am on the Hudson so am dealing with currents. I am unsure if this motor is the right one for my uses.

I found this thread after posting, but will leave my post up: Is 4HP Outboard Good for a Catalina 22?
 

AaronD

.
Aug 10, 2014
771
Classic Yachts 26 Newberg, OR / Shelton, WA
The most-recommended outboard for a C-22 is the Tohatsu 6 hp. We used one for several seasons, and can confirm that 6 is more than enough for a C-22, even when fairly heavily loaded for cruising. That said, we normally cruised at 1/4-1/3 throttle, so I think 4 would have been adequate (and this summer we found we cruised our CY26 on 1-2 kW, or ~1.3-2.6 hp).

If your 4 is running smoothly, my recommendation is to use it for a season or two and decide if you're regularly wishing for more power. My guess is you'll find the answer is no. If you do decide to upgrade, the Tohatsu 6 "Sailpro" model comes with an extra-long shaft and small alternator - worth looking at.
 
  • Like
Likes: hudson_rogue