Outboard engines on 17 foot daysailer Nomad

May 10, 2022
vanguard nomad sproat lake
I am a purchaser of a nomad 17 sailboat. I would like to put a small outboard engine on. I’m thinking of a Honda 2.3 hp four stroke. I was wondering whether I will need a outboard bracket. I’m trying to keep the weight down. Wanna make sure that the engine could tilt up. I went to the dealer today and the long shaft which is 20 inches. It can tilt up completely but would like some advice in making a decision prior to purchase. Thank you .

Attachments

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
The photo appears to show a mount that I don't see in some other photos of the boat. Is there something missing from that mount?

On my Hunter 17 I have two choices. A 3.3 Merc is my choice if the distance to open water is over a 1/2 mile. If the distance is short a Minn Kota is preferred. When I upgrade the electric, I will get a more powerful one and keep the OB as backup.

FWIW, I hate OBs. I have never used a 4 stroke but I'm sure they have issues just like a 2 stroke. The electric is a better fit for me personally as I like to fish.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I agree with what @Tater said. If it were me, I'd go with a 3hp equivalent Torqeedo... no gas can, no smell, not issues starting when you need it most etc.

This is the WM website but you can shop around and get it a little less spendy. These are rated for 6 hours run time at half throttle which is a lot if you are only using it to get in and out of a slip. And I'd guess half throttle is a lot more than a sailboat needs to get to hull speed. If you go about 4-5 kts, it is rated for 20 hours. Also a lot. Bring a flexible solar panel and lay it on the deck when you are at anchor swimming and ....

May 10, 2022
Hi Guys. Thank you for your replies. The boat will be kept on a fresh water lake dock. I will be docking in strong winds with chop. The lake has predictable afternoon winds that can get to be 20+ knots. To get to my dock from spring launch is an hour. So I either tow the sailboat with my ski boat or use a motor.
I like the suggestion of an electric. On a smaller lake I used one that fit on the bracket I made for the transom. It was underpowered and short life span . I would not trust that one so am considering an upgrade .
I like the Honda as it weighs 30 lbs. I don’t know if I will need to put an additional mount.
I used you take off the electric and store it in the underseats. With a torqueedo it weighs 30 lbs do too heavy and May already interfere with balance and I don’t fish but I can bring extra gas with a on and go as far as I need.
If not a Hondacan you please recommend a different ob option please?
Thank you very much for your input. I will include better pics of the transom
Mark

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In strong winds or river currents I would definitely prefer a gas engine to an electric motor. The Honda 2.3 has a static weight of about 30 lbs. My only concern would be on how the boat could handle the weight. Remember that when the boat is in motion the actual force of the weight of the engine can increase. For that reason you should always have a motor mount that is rated for no less than 2X the weight of the engine. If you wan to test how your boat can handle the weight take something that weighs 30-60 lbs and hang it from the transom.

May 10, 2022
Hi Benny. Thank you for the reply. When you say how the boat can handle the weight do you mean even with the outboard bracket ? Would 30 lbs change the handling substantially?
I have not purchased the Honda yet , can you recommend a better option as a motor as I will need to maneuver back to dock?
I appreciate your input as you raise questions I have not contemplated.
i also found an aluminum panther bracket rated for 120 lbs . Would you recommend something like this or different ?
Thank you

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I have a Honda 2HP on my Catalina Expo 14.2 and it handles wind and waves. Drags a bit when up but no noticeable effect on sail performance. I generally don't go out when there is more than 12-15 knots.

May 10, 2022
Thank you so much for your reply. Do you have a 15 inch or 20 inch shaft. Did you need an outboard bracket or would a support over the Fiberglass of the stern suffice the weight and force of slow speeds ? Does the motor cover interfere with the tiller when engine is up and sailing ?

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Since you already have a go fast boat just go with the electric trolling motor. It's a sailboat, it is slow, it is quiet you can add a 50 pound battery in any future time you want to add longer duration without any loss in velocity for that size of boat. Also no fuel complications such as contamination to the motor or the environment and restrictions to petroleum fueled operations.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Better yet, ask a fellow sailor to jump into the water swimming while pushing the boat
Sad to say, I have done that.
I rented a molded Hobie something in in the Bahamas. The launch was behind a breakwater with little room to maneuver. The wind had shifted and not wanting to damage the boat on rocks/coral, I got wet. I can still remember my ex screaming, "What do I do, what do I do?". I told her to sit there and be quiet.

May 10, 2022
Hi guys,

After consideration I’ve decided to buy a Minn Kota 36 inch shaft 40 pounds thrust and attach a lithium cell with 56 amp hours on it as a back up battery. It’s light, it will last a long time, the unit is cheap and disposable and the battery will last many years. I won’t worry if it gets wet. I appreciate all of your input it’s giving me a lot to consider.thank you.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
The 40# MK should do fine. My 30# does OK but I have wanted a little more thrust. I haven't sailed in salt water but will someday. I will likely upgrade to a saltwater model next.