outboard charging capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill

Hello, I have a 1983 mercury 9.9 (elect start, long shaft). how do I find how much changing this will yield? also, anyway to boost the output. -trying to plan my house battery banks. also, how to test if this is motot really charging?
 
E

Ed Allen

not sure but

mercury can tell ya. it isnt enough to replentish house batteries if you use very much at all. It was designed i think to just keep its battery up enough to handle the motor.
 
P

Paul Akers

Evinrude

I once had an Evinrude 8hp Sailor on my Catalina 25. It used to generate 1 amp/hr. Not much, but was enough for the guages and occasional lights on board. To boost the o/p, I think you would need another alternator. And, at that, certainly not enough O/P to charge a house bank.
 
S

Steve

I think...

I had a Clipper 26 in Ft. Lauderdale some years ago that I had a Merc 9.9 long shaft, with electric start and an alternator. I believe the output was something like 6 to 8 amps when the motor was at cruising speed. The motor was circa 1983. I put $600 into restoring it and afterward it was a great motor. Good luck. Steve
 
B

Butch Beard

voltage regulation

I'm not sure the small outboard alternators are very well regulated. I was using a 9.8 while having motor rebuilt and I noticed that volts would jump as high as 16.5V. I had to insure heavy electrical load when it was charging and then it seemed OK.
 
D

Don K.

Honda 8 hp

I have a honda 8 hp. Anyone know the amps this motor puts out.
 
G

Gord

O/B Alt'

You can get either: An unregulated lighting supply, or A small regulated alternator for your Mercury Outboard. Neither have much output. Check /w SunDance Marine (Lee @ Parts Counter) 1335 SE 16Th Street (Behind Publix on Se 17Th)
 
D

Dick of Sylvan

Might Add Solar

Being in s. Florida you have plenty of sun, so why not add a solar to keep your batteries charged? I find a small solar is better than my old Honda 100 for battery charging up in Wyoming in the summer where we only use the OB briefly to get away from dock and return. Dick.
 
P

Paul Akers

Regulated? No, manual regulation req'd.

When I had the Evinrude, the dealer told me that it wasn't regulated and that if I thought it was overcharging to turn on a cabin light. This would use the power being generated and "regulate" the output.
 
J

Jeff M.

Attention Outboard Manufacturers!

This is one area where a savy outboard manufacturer could really set themselves ahead of the pack. Most small outboards produce 6-8 amps at cruising speed (some of the Hondas are rated at 12 amps I believe), which is enough to keep the starting battery charged but nowhere near enough to keep a decent house bank well charged. As noted earlier, the regulation is also usually quite poor. So...why not build an 8-10 hp 4 stroke outboard with a 30-40 amp 3 stage regulated alternator? Properly designed, it would be like having a small generator onboard, in that you could run the motor in neutral and use just the charging capability while in dock or anchored. Yes, it would make the motor a little heavier, and a bit more expensive ($300-$500?) but it would sure be a big seller amongst the small sailboat crowd. One potential downside would be when trying to move the boat while charging a heavily depleted battery. I'm not quite sure how much hp it takes to run a 40 amp alternator to full output, but perhaps they could include a switch that would cut the alternator output if full power to the prop was needed. So, to any of you R&D guys from Honda,Mercury, et al... I'd be happy to help you test a prototype!!
 
S

Steve

As I remember

I currently have a Honda 8 (circa 1995) on my Coronado 25 and, as I remember (the manual to the engine is on the boat, not available, just now) it is about 6 amps, to upkeep lighting and lightly recharge the batter underway. This is the model that is a pull start and does NOT have a regular alternator. Steve
 
K

Keith Wolfe

Honda 8hp Electric Start

I have an electric start Honda 4 cycle BF 8 hp and according to the website below it puts out 12A. I've used this motor for one season and have nothing but praise for how it does everything. It's had no trouble keeping my battery charged, but I don't have anything but lights and a starter to contend with. Even so, I sometimes forget its running its so quiet. http://www.honda-marine.com/bf8.htm
 
G

Gord

S/L Type Alt'

I suspect that the (Honda O/B) specified "S/L" type alternator might refer to Starting/Lighting, neither function requiring regulation. The original query refered to a Mercury, who do (did?) offer both regulated & unrergulated units. Gord
 
Status
Not open for further replies.