Outboard capacity on a Mac 22

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I think my boat is a MAC 22, but I am not sure. I read or heard somewhere that the maximum capacity of outboard motor for these boats is 10HP. Can anyone confirm or refute that? I have a beefy motor mount that looks like it would hold a 10hp outboard w/o a problem. My concern is the motor I have is a 9.9hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Am I right to be concerned this motor might be too heavy? I am going to back up the mount with 1/2" plywood inside the transom and there seems to be plywood fiber-glassed in where the motor mount is located. I am looking for opinions...do you think I will be OK using this outboard or am I better off selling it and buying a smaller outboard. I do think the 9.9 is overkill on this boat but the trolling motor that came with it is underpowered.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
yes, 10 hp is the maximum recommended. I used a 9.9 hp Honda 4-stroke on my V-222. It is overkill but gave me no problems at all. I'm not sure where the documentation is but if I find it I'll post it.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
My 1984 Mac25 had a BF100 10hp 4 stroke Honda that it came with stock. Had the motor until I sold the boat. I could just crack it open and motor sail at 5.5 kts all day and night. Used very little gas. Powered was available when hit with a head wind. Spend you money on something else.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Guys, its not a power problem it is the excess weight involved. Sure its rated for a 10hp, but NOT a 4 stroke. It is rated for a 70 lb max motor! Chief

Apr 8, 2015
Macgregor Venture 22 Charlotte NC
i just got a new 6hp 4 stroke (about 60 lbs) for my venture 22. still breaking her in so Im only using about 30% throttle max and I dont see the need to every push it more then that. (SO FAR)
im new to sailing and only on lakes so... anyway just my two cents i guess.

Nov 26, 2012
You did it perfect Solodare! In adverse weather you will have plenty of emergency power.
For lake use I used a 4hp,2 stroke, 2 cylinder Evinrude Yacht Twin on a 26' Clipper Marine for several years and it was a great motor. Full hull speed with power to spare. Only reason I changed to a 8hp was I began taking her to the sea and wanted more power. The Yacht Twin was so light I would carry it in the bow as a backup motor! Chief

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
i just got a new 6hp 4 stroke (about 60 lbs) for my venture 22. still breaking her in so Im only using about 30% throttle max and I dont see the need to every push it more then that. (SO FAR)
im new to sailing and only on lakes so... anyway just my two cents i guess.

Never under estimate the conditions that can develop on "only lakes"...

Nov 26, 2012
Really? Topcat, I guess that explains why you have a 15hp on a 26' boat? Chief

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Thanks all for your replies, especially Chief. Yes it is the weight I am concerned about. I obtained the outboard with another boat I bought, a Ranger 26. I wanted to use it on my Mac but at almost double the weight (I was unaware of the 70lbs max) I think I will try to sell the Yamaha and buy a smaller one for the Mac. Since I started it, I think I will still add the plywood backer board to the inside of the transom. I had visions of planning the mac across the surface of the lake, but I bought the boat for sailing, not power boating.

Nov 26, 2012
Joe, takes lots of hp or wind to plane a sailboat! I said 70 lbs as an estimate for what a typical 10hp 2 stroke weighs but that is close to the weight of most models made. Chief

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If there is a 70 pound rating (I suspect not), it would be for the motor mount only. Your boat has no problem with weight back there. Do you see the nose of the boat going up into the air when you board from the swim ladder (you probably weigh more than 70 pounds). There may have been a hp rating for the boat but I would guess 10 hp is also OK.

If your motor mount is beefy enough for both the hp and weight, no problem with the 10 hp. You definitely don’t need any more than maybe 5 but it’s pretty easy to just run the 10 hp at 5 or less hp..

The transom is a bad place for weight if you are into peak sailing performance and that would be the valid reason for going smaller. More weight on the transom drags along more water. I think the 4 to 6 hp size would be nicer for that boat but I also think no problem to make the 10 hp work if the mount can handle the weight and hp, its just gong to have a bunch of excess capability you dont need.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
The motor mount looks strong enough, but since it came with the boat, I just don't know the max capacity. Looking at the transom, I did not think it looked strong enough to take the weight. There is a bulge in the fiberglass, indicating a backup block of some material, most likely wood was glassed in, but I did not think it looked beefy enough to handle the extra weight. The outboard has power tilt but with a long shaft I expect to have to raise the mount to it's highest position and the spring does not seem strong enough to lift the motor...so perhaps it is not rated for the weight of this outboard. So much to consider and the easiest solution looks to be getting a lower HP outboard.