outboard and trailer trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kelly Purinton

My 1965 Daysailor has a place on the stern for an outboard, which I use. The problem is that the traveler/mainsheet rigging gets all caught up almost every time I change tack. Any other Daysailors cleverly solve this dilemma? Thanks. Kelly "Daisy Sail"

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Yep

Kelly - Yep - known annoyance. In fact, if you could see the rest of the picture under the about us link on the homepage, you'd see that I'm sailing along with the engine dragging in the water. After that picture was taken I realized that I could lenthen the travler line enough to allow the whole thing to clear the engine. There is a fine balance between getting enough room and losing pointing ability, but it can be done. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

K

Ken Cobb

Install a motor mount

My daysailer had a wooden motor mount attached to the stern by brackets, which effectively moved the engine further astern. That placed it behind the end of the boom. That way I could raise the engine for sailing and never interfere with the traveler. The mount is a good idea for another reason, because mounting the engine directly on the stern eventually could crack the fiberglass in the transom. Using a mount, the engine vibrations are largely absorbed by the mount instead of by the transom itself.

S

Steve Deturk

What mount do you recommend?

Ken, I thought about installing a motor mount but I was unsure what specific mount would work well on the DS I. I was also concerned about whether the transom could take the pressure from the weight acting as a lever applying stress just under the mounting plate. Do you trailer with the motor already attached to the mount Ken?

Status
Not open for further replies.