Outboard and Cockpit Controls

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
I know this has probably been debated a lot but my question is simple, would you purchase a boat with cockpit controls or would you pass because of it?

Here's my situation... I like my Catalina 25 and I don't really want to sell. Well, at least until I retire and move up. My wife, on the other hand, has trouble manning the tiller and operating the outboard controls. For me it's somewhat of a challenge but for here it's all but impossible. I think she would be way more comfortable being able to control throttle and fore/aft thrust with remote controls. I like being able to change direction of the outboard in tight spots but in all actuality we wouldn't need that in all but the most extreme cases.

Better yet, I'd love to figure out a way I could sync my outboard direction to my tiller position and put controls on the tiller. Is that crazy thinking?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have seen links- like a drag link on a car- to connect the OB to an external rudder and move the OB along with the tiller. You can turn on a dime that way.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Depending on your outboard, there are remotes. Yamaha for one has cable driven controls for shift and throttle, and you can buy longer sets. I've seen outboard controls mounted on the tiller on a trimaran.

And it's not a bad idea, if it makes her more comfortable handling the boat.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I devised a way to connect or disconnect the tiller from the outboard quickly and Ruth really liked it when we docked or anchored as it gave her control and the ability to maneuver the boat easily.

More on how it was made and also how the other controls were made to work easier (go down the menu towards the bottom of the page) ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-index.html

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Mar 1, 2012
I didn't get the impression that steering or turning the engine was the problem.

Indication was shift and throttle handling. And if the engine is on a mount on the stern. and most of the Catalina 25 pictures show that, I can see her problem.

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
I like Sumner's setup but I don't think that would work in my situation. I haven't given up on that just yet, though. Initially I was imagining some kind of cable set up attaching the tiller and motor handle. Of course I'd have to mount the cable in such a way that both turned in unison and was easily removable.

What I wouldn't give for heated winter storage in my back yard. I suppose I should be happy with at least having it indoors, eh?

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I like Sumner's setup but I don't think that would work in my situation. I haven't given up on that just yet, though. Initially I was imagining some kind of cable set up attaching the tiller and motor handle. Of course I'd have to mount the cable in such a way that both turned in unison and was easily removable.

What I wouldn't give for heated winter storage in my back yard. I suppose I should be happy with at least having it indoors, eh?

I feel your pain on all of it. Our starting procedure: [hang off the back of boat] [tilt/run lever] {climb on boat} {put motor down} {hang back off boat with 2 hands avail for engine} [tiller handle/throttle up] [choke out] [start button] {choke in} [tiller handle/throttle down][ [shift lever] climb on boat make way if engine doesn't stall.

Last Saturday night I was reminded of what a nut roll all that can be when we unexpectedly found our selves on a lee shore in the wee dark hours.

The Admiral can do it but shes a little intimidated by it.

I have a plan to install some kind of remote system but there are down sides to those things also so I have analysis paralysis.

As far as the winter and your storage - you can heat it; its more a question of tarps how much fuel you have to burn....

Mar 1, 2012
LOL- There ARE advantages to outboard wells. Of course the disadvantage is the lower unit has to be antifouled, since it's always in the water

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you are asking us if a remote controlled outboard is more convenient than a tiller? ABSOLUTELY. I your outboard manufacturer doesn't make a remote kit for your motor, you might consider this product:

http://powertiller.com/Demonstration.htm

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
remote control

I have seen links- like a drag link on a car- to connect the OB to an external rudder and move the OB along with the tiller. You can turn on a dime that way.
I am thinking of adding remote engine controls forward or incorporate a way of clamping the engine controls in other locations if the need arises. I also am toying with the idea of using a 12 Volt gate opener/closer to control the rudder from a forward or in an emergency from inside the cabin with a switch and a long cable I may even incorporate a video camera so I can see ahead when using a genoa. I have a lot of junk in my workshop and I may as well put it to use. I spent 4 years on a Diesel Submarine and learned how to jury-rig and make things work. The name of my boat "Ahooga X 3".

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kper;

What year and hp is your motor. also take a few photos of the engine, back of transom and the rear cockpit. I will need to know your model and serial number of the engine.
Send it to davecondon@mindspring.com and I will assist. Use to put them on when I was also a Catalina dealer as well on my Hunters.

Dave condon

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I've done both mods that you're asking about on two different boats. On the first boat the outboard was almost out of reach. For motoring long distances it wasn't a problem but maneuvering in tight spaces was a real pain. I love having both a remote control for the motor and having tiller to outboard steering. I wouldn't want to be without either of them again.

I used this guy's ideas for the steering. http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2808.0

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Just a quick tip for hand cranking an outboard engine. Make a bight in a suitable length of 3/8" line and slip it over the handle of the start cord. This allows you to stand, brace yourself, and pull with both hands from a comfortable position.

George

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
I've done both mods that you're asking about on two different boats. On the first boat the outboard was almost out of reach. For motoring long distances it wasn't a problem but maneuvering in tight spaces was a real pain. I love having both a remote control for the motor and having tiller to outboard steering. I wouldn't want to be without either of them again.

I used this guy's ideas for the steering. http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2808.0
This may be the ticket. At least for the steering controls.