Outboard Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Kolb

OK, I've looked in the archives and even read some of my old posts there. I am seeking OB advice. I have a 1986 C22 with a 1999 Honda 8HP 4 stroke. The OB is reliable, quiet, etc and weighs 82 lbs. We sail on a lake and the winds are usually mild to moderate. The OB is used to get out of, and back into, the marina - usually a distance of about 150 yards each way. I've got the itch to make a change on the boat and am thinking about the OB. I have spotted the Tohatsu 3.5 hp 2 strokes for about $650 that weigh 28lbs. (I think I could sell the Honda and have enough $ to buy the Tohatsu and a new 110 jib). Is anyone out there using a 3.5hp OB to get in and out of your marina area? Is it enough hp? Do you think the saved 54 lbs will make a sailing difference? Should I obsess about something else? Your words of wisdom are appreciated. Randy

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
C22 outboard

Locally, the preferred motor for J24s is a Nissan (which is a Tohatsu) 3.5. They go everywhere with them, either at or nearly at hull speed, and a J24 weighs about what your C22 does. The 3.5 motors also have internal tanks, therefore one less thing to mess with, as well as less weight. Less hassle, plus lightening your stern by about 50 lbs, sounds like the way to go!

Jun 4, 2004
- - Abilene, TX
Thought

I wouldn't buy a 2 cycle motor. Someday, probably sooner than later, we will not be able to use them. David

Jun 2, 2004
- - Pennsylvania lake
I'll trade you.

I use a Johnson 4 hp, two stroke on a 87 Catalina 22, much the same way you do. Top speed is 4.5 knots, much less when the wind picks up. 25 mph plus winds under bare poles .5 knots was all it would do in small chop. 30 lbs savings and $650 would only be worth it if you race, High winds, storms, hooked anchors! I'll trade you.

A

Aaron

outboard charging systems?!

Okay. I'm looking into buying my first sailboat... a 25 ft 1975 catalina lancer. The owner says that the outboard is an 8.8 hp Tohatsu with an internal regulator for charging the onboard battery. apparently from what I have read, that name is made by Nissan, which is reassuring to me... anyone know anything about this engine, the charging system, and how it should be wired? thank you. happy sailing

Jun 4, 2004
- - Woodbridge, Va.
OB for Catalina 22

I had a C 22 for 15 years with a Merc 4.5 on it. If there was no wind or very little it was ok, but if you headed into 10-15 knots of wind, forget it. I got a Envidude 8 Long Shaft and it was great in any weather conditions. You need to be safe out there in a blow and be able to get back home in a storm.

Jun 4, 2004
- - miami
3.5 does work

I have been using the Nissan 3.5 hp 2 stroke on my Catalina 22 for the last two years. It works great! I have come out of Black Point Marina which is over a mile in length with the wind and current running against me and the little motor pushes the boat well. Originally I had an 6 hp OB but it went dead so I started using my 3.5 and have never changed. I would recommend the long shaft version. I have the short shaft but would prefer the long shaft.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
you have it backwards Aaron

Tohatsu makes the Nissan and also the four stroke Mercury motors under 10 hp. Other than color parts will interchange.

B

Bob B.

Outboard Motor Power Thruster

To all outboard users. Anyone out there used the "Power Thruster" made by Garhauer Marine? For those who are not familiar with this gizmo, it is a 2 piece shroud that partially encloses the propeller. It looks like it would work well in directing the water flow more directly with less water "slipping out" sideways. Not a technically correct description. The advertisement on the right side of this screen claims the Power Thruster will increase acceleration by as much as 22% & save 30% in fuel consumption. If so, a smaller HP motor than usual might work as long as the shaft is long enough. . Think I'll make one this winter. Bob B.

May 22, 2004
- - newport,vt
outboard

I used a 8 hp that came with my 22 but was having a lot of trouble with it. have used a 4.5 for the past 2 years off my old daysailor and it has worked fine. just takes a little longer to reverse direction when i back into the slip

Status
Not open for further replies.