Outback Chargers

dke

Mar 8, 2019
Catalina C42 Southeast
I have an Outback 2812M charger/inverter and Deka 4D gel batteries. It is driving me crazy to attempt to figure out how to comply with the bulk charging requirements of these batteries (specified as 14.2 amps for a minimum time) since the charger does not bulk charge using time limits. Only incoming AC amps appear to be programmable and the charger remains in bulk stage until the acceptance voltage is achieved. Have searched through the Outback forums trying to learn how these chargers work and still haven't gained much confidence about the bulk stage. Any ideas or suggestions about this?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum. Battery chargers are fun questions as there are always folks bringing to boats ideas that may work or may not. And there are a few of us with strong opinions about the right charger for the purpose..

I have not had experience with the Outback charger, so I began a lookup of the unit. It appears the Outback Charger is manufactured up in our PacificNW and is marketed to the “Live Off the Grid” folk wanting to utilize solar as a primary energy source for their residence. The specific unit you have is identified in the marketing notes as having potted circuit boards and vented air with tthe ability to produce a true sine wave for DC to AC conversion. Sounds great. The detail on the Charging side of the unit was not found on their site.

It looks like the charging side functions like a typical auto charging unit and is not designed to meet the needs of maritime battery systems. For good info on marine battery chargers I would encourage you to read the info on this forum. Especially material provided by members @Stu Jackson and @Maine Sail .

Here is one link.https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-marine-battery-charger/

dke

Mar 8, 2019
Catalina C42 Southeast
In actuality, the Outback chargers are used as stock inverter/chargers for Nordhavns. The 2812M is specifically a marine unit. While much of the forum entries are related to 'off the grid' folks, these units are excellent for marine use.

I do follow Maine Sail and do my best to install electrical components on my boat. Thorough searching has not yielded any commentary by anyone regarding charger bulk programming which is not time-based. As such, I have been unable to determine how to achieve the kind of charging performance during the bulk phase advocated by those who know vastly more than I.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We sailors try to adapt to use everything we may have at hand but it may be worth to keep in mind that there may be drawbacks to doing so and if the system is critical or expensive and prone to damage it is best to use the right tool for the job.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have an Outback 2812M charger/inverter and Deka 4D gel batteries. It is driving me crazy to attempt to figure out how to comply with the bulk charging requirements of these batteries (specified as 14.2 amps for a minimum time) since the charger does not bulk charge using time limits. Only incoming AC amps appear to be programmable and the charger remains in bulk stage until the acceptance voltage is achieved. Have searched through the Outback forums trying to learn how these chargers work and still haven't gained much confidence about the bulk stage. Any ideas or suggestions about this?
East Penn has a recommended bulk charge current of 30% of C/20 Ah capacity or about 55A per 183Ah 4D GEL battery. If you have two or more of these batteries the 125A charge capability of the Outback I/C needs no current limiting. These batteries can easily be fed more than 30% of C/20 they just won't accept that current as efficiently, so be sure you're using a temp sensor. Be sure not to charge those batteries at more than 14.1V to 14.2V and they will last a very long time..

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
That's a good unit. I've designed a 24V version of it (VFXR3024) into some commercial laboratory/medical equipment and they're very reliable. If you don't already have one, make sure to get a MATE3 or its successor, the MATE3s for programming and display. The only issue with them is that they're DC powered and won't come alive to charge, despite being connected to shore power, if your batteries are totally flat .

dke

Mar 8, 2019
Catalina C42 Southeast
East Penn has a recommended bulk charge current of 30% of C/20 Ah capacity or about 55A per 183Ah 4D GEL battery. If you have two or more of these batteries the 125A charge capability of the Outback I/C needs no current limiting. These batteries can easily be fed more than 30% of C/20 they just won't accept that current as efficiently, so be sure you're using a temp sensor. Be sure not to charge those batteries at more than 14.1V to 14.2V and they will last a very long time..
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. As I have 3 4D batteries, the default limit of 14 aac should not be an issue. Temp sensor is in place. And I would conclude that the 'time limit' suggestion associated with bulk stage programming is considerably less critical than I understood, as long as 14.1 or 14.2 amps are not exceeded. Please let me know if my conclusions are incorrect or require modification.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. As I have 3 4D batteries, the default limit of 14 aac should not be an issue. Temp sensor is in place. And I would conclude that the 'time limit' suggestion associated with bulk stage programming is considerably less critical than I understood, as long as 14.1 or 14.2 amps are not exceeded. Please let me know if my conclusions are incorrect or require modification.
Don't confuse amps & volts.... Bulk duration (constant current charging) ends when the batteries come up to target voltage and the absorption stage (constant voltage charging) begins.