Out of sight, out of mind?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We spent yesterday cleaning our quarterberth of un-used, not needed items...there was a lot!
In doing this we discovered the plywood covers over the under-cushion storage areas were not so nice.....we bought the boat new in 1986 and other than required access for necessary up-keep, etc. have seldom been opened....my wife had crawled back in the hole as I shall call it, to clean the compartments under the plywood covers and ouch....they were not so nice....and the plywood covers themselves were a mess....so together we agreed they needed to be replaced....the covers that is.....so I've now brought them home.....We discussed on the way home replacing the nasty plywood with maybe 1/4 inch thick plexiglass covers that would at least be easier to clean...but I'm now wondering if the plexiglass covers would provide enough support for the cushion should some one actually sleep back in the 'hole'........Is there a better material to make the moveable covers out of...? I think the plywood covers are nasty just because they have been attacked by moisture/dampness, a bit of oil spilled/transmission fluid, etc.....do any of you good folks have better solution / material to use as a removable cover for the openings? There are two compartments...one immediately behind the engine compartment and one provides access to the thru-hulls for water, etc.. ......I could just sand the hatches (approx. 2 ft. x 4 ft.) and varnish them to give them some protection.....Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Patrick in Wichita

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Pat, call Lustercraft and see what material they would recommend. They sometimes have scraps to sell too. 942-8451 .
I have a table saw if it can be cut.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I'm assuming that the hatch covers are never touched by sunlight. If that is correct, I would cut new plywood to fit, then seal with mildew-resistant primer and mildew-resistant paint or polyurethane, whichever I had in my paint cabinet.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
You could also glue some arborite (or similar) to the top of the plywood providing a finished look and a moisture proof surface

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Thanks to everyone....yes they are not visible most of the time as the cushion above is the aft berth...esp. when we have everything we don't need stowed back there.....heaters, 3 vornado fans, lunch hook anchor & chain, fishing rod, speaker wiring, etc....there is more, but I shall not bore you.....there is a 4 inch foam cushion that hides the hatches I'm speaking of.....thanks for ideas.....Pat

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Pat, I just bought plywood and cut out new covers. Sand the edges, drill holes in the center and then coat all over with epoxy to waterproof. While at it you probably have a 4x8 sheet of plywood, so make some extras to keep on hand when needed.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Agree with the other posters in redoing in plywood. The original lasted 30 years....!!!!!! a coat of epoxy and I'm thinking you will never need to replace again

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
third vote. I epoxy and varnished existing ad built a replacement out of plywood for the 1 that was damaged. They look great when I do see them, but don't require finicky completion.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
1/4" G10.
I'm thinking that G10 is (1) overkill in strength and (2) won't be thick enough to fill the formerly-plywood recesses. I'm for getting plywood and varnishing / epoxying as described by others. How long will this boat last?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I'm nearly certain I will never have to do again....here is a question...which would be best....epoxy or varnish?
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
you are correct; no sun....pretty shady space...Pat

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm thinking that G10 is (1) overkill in strength and (2) won't be thick enough to fill the formerly-plywood recesses.
OP was considering "1/4" plexi" ...? Overkill strength is hard to accomplish and a good problem to have. G10 is quick, easy and eternal. Out of sight so no advantage to pretty varnished wood.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If you use plywood then just use epoxy. Much easier than varnish. A 24x24 sheet of G10 1/4 thick is about 65 bucks at McMaster-Carr.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
OP was considering "1/4" plexi" ...? Overkill strength is hard to accomplish and a good problem to have. G10 is quick, easy and eternal. Out of sight so no advantage to pretty varnished wood.
G10 would be very heavy, and very expensive. Plywood makes sense.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Plywood: seal the edges with epoxy, and then paint both sides and edges with two coats of two-part barrier coat, i.e., moisture barrier epoxy-like paint, like Interlux InterProtect.

I think the light gray color of the barrier coat looks good, has the clean, utilitarian, "maintained" look to it.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
G10 would be very heavy, and very expensive. Plywood makes sense.
The weight difference wouldn't add up to diddley squat. And by the time you get done with all those layers of this and coats that, sandpaper, paintbrushes, etc, etc, etc ... your price difference won't equal diddley squat either. Especially if you consider your time to be worth something.

@Pat ... Your boat, your choice. Just be aware that some erroneous info is being given.