Out for a while

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
took my boat out on October 8th. No strength, no balance and could barely walk. Yikes! ER on the 9th, admitted for 3 days of tests. couldn't walk, no upper body strength and numb hands. Surgery on 30th for cervical compression and compressed discs. 4 hour surgery call a cervical laminectomy with fusion of c3-c6. Extremely painful, 5 days recovery in the hospital and 11 days inpatient in rehab hospital. Should make full recovery in 2-3months. Walking with a cane but expect to ditch the cane in 3 weeks. Looking forward to the spring. Boat is tucked away inside for the winter. Bored out of my mind due to lack of mobility and pain.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Dad always told me "getting older isn't for sissies". At 75 I'm beginning to believe.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Holy Moly, Bill! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Give Judy a hug for me (when you can).

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Wishing you the very best. Went through heart surgery last year and thus know the feeling of being bored until strong enough to be active again. Happy to tell you that I turned 75 this summer while on an 1800 miles cruise single-handling my boat down the St.Lawrence River, into the Gulf and around Chaleurs Bay and back. So stay cheerful, there is life after a major operation, and it should be better than what you were experiencing. Yes as Michael's father said: "getting older isn't for sissies". But the other option is not something I'm prepared for. Speedy Recovery to you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry to hear your going through a such a nasty experience. Michael said it well. Getting old is not for sissy's.
Hope your recovery is speedy and you hit the water sailing come spring.

With all this time on your hands I look forward to reading some of your wisdom's about sailing out of Sandusky.
Take care and follow the doctors directions. They are more then suggestions.:biggrin:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Did you have any warning signs? Any "trauma"? Hope you're on the way to getting better.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hoping you have a speedy recovery. Take it easy and follow Docs orders. It takes 3 to 12 months for the grafts to heal at the fused sites; you certainly don’t want to do anything to interfere with the healing process. Best wishes.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So sorry to hear of your troubles but hopefully you're on the way to recovery. I guess someone should start a controversial thread to provide some entertainment! :stir: Or maybe we can suggest some interesting books. I just finished on one the voyage of Magellan - full of European history of the 16th century and details of the voyage. Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
WOW!

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Stay with your PT.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Things going great. Outpatient PT 3 times/week. Heading to Florida on Friday for 3 weeks. Walking and driving again. Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Things going great. Outpatient PT 3 times/week. Heading to Florida on Friday for 3 weeks. Walking and driving again. Thanks everyone for the good wishes.
Great to hear you're on the mend! A bad back and sailing do NOT mix!