Out board motor mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Smith

Does anyone have any ideas, for tightening the bolts on the out board motor bracket. If I remove the foam blocks, it appears that there still isn't enough room to get under the cockpit, to reach the nuts on the bolts. Thanks for any response.

M

Mike

Mount Servicing

In response to your question, yes--there is enough room to reach the bolts and tighten them. You need to remove the foam blocks and any other item stowed below the cockpit. I find it helpful to wear two thick sweatshirts as it provides a little padding and the extra comfort will be appreciated. You have to worm your way all the way back but it is reachable. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs and I can make it. I find it helpful to use a racheting box end wrench. They work great and are much faster than an open end wrench and will fit in confined spaces a socket and ratchet wrench won't. Consider removing the motormount and fabricating a stainless plate to go between the transom and mount. At the same time you might get several large stainless fender washers for the inside to provide a larger area for the nuts to bear on. I sealed mine with plumbers putty rather than silicone seal as it seems to seal as well but can be easily removed. I had mine sand blasted and powder coated. Should last a long long time.

C

Chip Giles

Tight fit

You can squeeze under there, but don't try it if you are claustrophobic. Also, put down paper on the bottom because I was scratching fiberglass for weeks off of me.

M

Martin Stephani

Outboard motor mount bolts

Jeff, I had the same problem as you have. I thought about the possibilities -- even hiring my nephew to crawl back into "no man's land" to accomplish the task. However, what I did was to install deck plates with the screw-out centers. Since my boarding ladder was also loose, I put one on each side of the back wall of the cockpit. Make sure to measure before cutting so the finished job looks good. Now if I need to get at the bolts, all I do is unscrew the deck plate and I'm there. No need to move styrofoam blocks or import midgets. Give it some thought. I used 6" plates. Works great.

J

Joe Brigandi

servicing motor mount

Servicing the transom area is easy if you cut an opening on the port side the same as the starboard factory cut out.Make a plywood cover for the cut out to prevent the blocks from floating out.I also glassed in a plywood backer and angel iron to support a 9.9 outboard.This modification makes the transom fully serviceable.I also installed a swim platform with ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.