Our New Sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Our boat is a 97 hunter 26. After researching etc. What we decided on was a "Fat Head", full batten, loose foot, with two reefs for the main. We also had the foot cut up so we can sail with our bimini (just luv that). Kept the jib pretty much standard, just adjusted to fit the furler. The new main came with five tell tails on the leech, not sure I like these as I am use to having the tell tails on the main itself, time will tell i guess. So far we are pretty impressed, less heel, even with the extra sail aloft, and way better pointng. We went with a local loft. We received exactly what we ordered and are very happy with the quality. Charisma

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Wow beautiful sails! With square top on Mains, from a distance could mistaken yours for American Cup boats. So you raise the boom gooseneck or cut the clew higher to avoid the bimini?

Jun 1, 2004
Had the clew cut 8" higher. This places it about 3" above the top of the bimini. Now we can stand up while sailing with the bimini up, a must where we sail. BTW I got the fat head because I lost sail size in doing this. Initially I was concerned about placing the extra power that far up, but so far it has not been a problem, we will know more after sailing with them for a while, like I mentioned we have less heel than before. Glad you like the new sails. Charisma

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2004
Terry, the H26 does not have a backstay it is a B&R rig. Charisma

Dec 10, 2010
Hunter H26 South Haven, MI
Great looking setup! How do you have your mainsheet rigged to avoid the fron of the bimini ? I see it is attached about mid-boom, but it looks like it's farther forward on the cockpit sole than mine

KenG

Nov 25, 2008
Hunter 26 Clear lake Manitoba
Keep us posted at the end of the summer.
I will be replacing the sails on my 1995 hunter 26 in a year or two and would like to know more about the fat head.

Jun 1, 2004
Tkaser3210, the main sheet is attached to a traveler, just in front of the entrance to the galley etc. I will take some pics this weekend and post them. Anything else you want pics of, like my bow roller? Charisma

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Chrisma, so what's the new sail area (sq2) and the stock? Did you find the boat sailing faster apart from less heeling? It looks like you have 5 full battens. Is it heavier to rise the Mainsail compare to before?
Sorry for all these questions, getting all excited over the "Fat Head" :):):)

Jun 1, 2004
Hey Ken, no idea as to how the sail area relates to the original, but I lost a couple of inchs off of the clew so as to raise it to clear the bimini. Having 5 battens does make raising the sail a little harder, and I am going to try some "McLube" this weekend and I do have to remove the top batten before putting the sail cover on, but life is full of compromises, and this is one well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.