Our first boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sylvain

What is your recommendation about our first boat with this things: -Must be under 25 -I've sail 15 years ago on small sail boat, like Lazer and mistral -We're two -We want a week-end boat with standard facilities -We heve a budget under 15 000 C$ Thank you SB

J

John Langsenkamp

25 and below

You will be able several boats that will fit your requirements. I would definetly look at the Catalina 25 or maybe the Catalina. The 25 will have more room for weekend getaways. The 22 will be a little on the small side. May not have a head or not very private. the 25 is the boat of choice to start learning to cruise. You will be able to find the 25 in your price range. It may take a work to get to where you want her. I started out with a O'Day 25, very similar to the Cat. 25. The c25 is trailerable with a swing keel. I now have C36 which we love. Good luck.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Catalina 25!

Ooh, ooh, the Catalina 25 is for you!!!Meets all your requirements and can be found at really good price. Look around for the best deal cuz there are tons of them out there. LaDonna

R

Richard

why under 25?

I went from a sunfish to a catalina 27 to a catalina 30. If you need something that fits on a trailer then I can understand the 25 criteria. If you need something that you will keep in a slip most of the time and use on weekends then why not get an old 27? They have tons more room than a 25 and can be had for under 10K US dollars. I would recommend taking some of that money and sign up for a basic keel boat class (us sailing association or equivelant). Better to learn on somebody elses boat with a qualified instructor instead of crashing your new toy into the dock! Most catalina 27s from the early 1980 will go for under 10K easily even for one that is in nice shape.

J

Joe

Catalina 25

Catalina 25's are available with fin, wing or swing keels. We got a wing keel Catalina 25 last year and really enjoyed it.

B

Bob Camarena

Agree With Richard

I agree with Richard, if you aren't going to trailer the boat, the Catalina 27 is a much better bet. It sails better, has more living room, and isn't significantly bigger in terms of handling. In fact, it's even more kindly and stable as the wind picks up.

P

patrick boole

the votes are in. a 27 will do just great. i went form a 23 to a 27 and it was night and day. i am selling the 27 now because if moved up to a 30. if trailing is not the problem you will be so much happier with a 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.