Our 315 Arrived

Jan 13, 2021
Catalina 315 75 San Diego
Our new 315 arrived in San Diego on April Fool's day. Luckily, it was not an April Fool's joke and she arrived as planned. Attached is a photo at the yard before the mast was stepped and one at the broker's dock after commissioning. We could not be happier. We only have our prior Catalina 36 to compare to but the build quality is a step up - our hats are off to the Catalina factory. We got the Garmin electronics package including the below deck autopilot which we initially thought was going to be an issue (we did a post on this after ordering the boat- thanks to everyone for the feedback). We had good weather for the sea trial - she sure is fun to sail.
There had been no Catalina dealer in San Diego until Cruising Yachts became a dealer recently. They made a nice video of our boat if you'd like to get a close look at her (thanks to Skipper John for letting us know about the video).

Sep 6, 2020
Catalina 315 74 Barrington, RI
Congrats, @senechals! I have 315 hull #74, the one before yours! I've had it in the waters off Mystic, CT for the past month, and just sailed it home to RI last Friday. I also have Garmin equipment, and the below deck autopilot. It's tons of fun to sail, and all worked well in 15 knot headwinds and 4 foot seas on our journey home last week! Great video! Enjoy, and good luck with it!

My one issue is that water comes in both sinks (galley and head) when heeled over under sail. Thus, both these seacocks need to be closed. I find this inconvenient to open and shut as needed, but otherwise, the boat is terrific!

Not to diverge this thread, but any ideas managing the sinks?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Very nice. Similar in many respects to our C310, with a more traditional layout in the v-berth and large saloon. Many happy voyages to come.

Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
Congratulations to 315 #74 and #75. If Catalina is building about one a month, I hope my new boat will be hull number 81!

On the sinks, I suppose the prudent sailor would keep the thru-hulls closed while underway... especially for the head, which would be difficult to observe while underway. Alternatively, the fun-loving sailor might consider a full sink to be the sign of a great day of sailing!

Fairwinds… Skipper John

Sep 6, 2020
Thanks, @Skipper John And congrats on your pending possible 81! FYI, my 74 was delivered to the dealer in CT in early December, and then sat on the hard till a month ago.

On the sinks, the water overflowed both sinks. The main cabin floor had significant (to a newbie sailor anyway) water, and so did the head. This was after 30 mins of close hauling in 15 kt winds and 4 ft seas. If my electronics can be trusted, I was healing 20-25 deg. I was warned about this by another 315 owner, but now I've seen it. I've not heard this from any 310 owner, so it seems unique to the 315. Further thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Seacocks should be closed at all times unless they are actively in use. It takes but little effort to open, and then close them, when needed

Sep 6, 2020
Thanks, @KZW
I can't disagree in principal, and this is true for the head sink. But for the galley sink, access to the seacock requires removing 3 large seat cushions and then a somewhat large settee panel. Not easy under sail. And rather inconvenient.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congratulations to both of you sailors on your new boats. Exciting times ahead.

May you enjoy, Fair winds and comfortable seas.

It sounds like your sinks are at, or just above the waterline. When you heel going to windward the sink is below the waterline and the water siphons into the boat.

No easy fix. You could try a check valve, but that would present a clogging potential when something big goes down the drain.

A reroute of the drain line might work getting a loop into it but then your faced with the issue of the sink properly draining when your standing still.

A flapper on the outlet might reduce the issue yet tear off in a turbulent sea.

Does someone make a plug that can be installed in the bottom of the sink?

Perhaps you face the consideration that this is just like reefing. When sailing the boat at less than 15 degrees heel all is ok. When reefing the sails as the wind stiffens the valves must be closed

Sep 6, 2020
Thanks, @jssailem Great ideas to explore. I'll check the waterline level of the sink, but that makes perfect sense and likely explains it. And yes, the reefing analogy may be the way to go. Thank again!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Nice, some really neat improvements over the 310. Really like the anchor area improvement and cockpit locker hatches. Concerning water, the 310 gallay is drained at the bottom of the keel, access under sink. The head is aft in the position where the 315 galley is and the drain is easy access under the sink. I'd take the 310 interior with the 315 exterior improvements in a heart beat!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
Thanks, @Skipper John And congrats on your pending possible 81! FYI, my 74 was delivered to the dealer in CT in early December, and then sat on the hard till a month ago.
I will resurrect this old thread to report that the prediction came true. Our new Catalina 315 is shipping from Florida to California this week. And it did turn out to be hull number 81!

Fingers crossed for a safe launching and a fun first sail!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Asalatto, you said you had water on the floor after sailing heeled. Did that water come from the head overflowing or from one of the sinks? You should not have to close sink drain seacocks to sail your boat IMHO. If the water came from the head overflowing you need a vented loop on the raw water line, which is an easy fix (and should have been there from the factory). If the sinks overflowed, the boat was designed poorly. Galley sinks are traditionally installed close to the boat centerline to preclude this problem. If the vanity sink overflows it was installed too low. When designers deviate from traditional layouts, they may discover the reason things were as they were. IMHO, after one such discovery, a boat manufacturer should correct the design on all future boats and repair the already sold ones. In the recent past, Frank Butler, founder of Catalina Yachts, was said to have all complaints directed to him personally. He would not have let this type of issue slide.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Congrats to all three - that is a nice boat, the interior is amazing for a 31 footer.