Our 170 on Lake Erie today

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
We went out on Lake Erie today. The wind was about 5-7mph, and waves were less than 2 feet. It was great!!! Not too many days like this on the Western end of Lake Erie when I would feel comfortable in my little 170. We were out about 1-2 miles from shore at the most. Stayed out on the water for about three hours. Tried out my new anchor and got to fly my new flag. I added a flag to the boat on a teak pole, it's pretty neat! We've only been able to get the boat out four times so far this summer, and this was the most fun yet. I attached a picture of our 170 and my First Mate that I took after we pulled it out of the water. She's still smiling.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Congrats!

Now you will catch "two-foot-itis". And it won't stop there! ;)

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Glad to see another 170 on the water !

Hi Jerry, Good looking boat, I have only been out 5 - 6 times this year with my 170 myself, busy schedules you know !........I plan on getting out every other weekend form here on out through the summer. I like how you mounted your flag, How did you attach it ?. How about a close up of the flag mounting position ? Happy sailing...........

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Flag Mount

Here's a closer shot of the flag mount. It's all stuff out of the West Marine catalog. The stainless mount is a round tube railing mount that I modified slightly to clamp to the square tiller. The teak flag pole goes well with the boat... I think. I'll get a closer picture tonight while I'm in the shop.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Closer view of mount

Here's a real close up of the flag mount. As you can see it just clamps on. I'm going to find some mylar to replace the black blocks.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 170 -
Neat idea for the mount

Jerry, Neat idea for mounting the flag. Been wondering where to mount one. I'm going to have to use it. Thanks for the input!! I am currently working on replacing the tiller with a new vertically pivoting mahagony/ash laminated tiller. Forced me to design and fabricate a new tiller head as well as a rudder head. I will have to see how your idea can be incorporated onto the new design. I will post what I have done in a few weeks. Rusty

Mar 8, 2005
Very nice !

Very nice piece of fabrication, I think others, including myself will follow up on your idea. About what size is the flag. 12" x 24" ? This would be a good Idea for production !!! Run with it ..............

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
12 X 18

The flag is 12 X 18. From what I was able to dig up, the flag should be approx. 1" long for every foot of boat. At least that is what is supposed to look appropriate. Thanks for the compliments too. It does look pretty cool in the breeze while sailing. If anyone wants, I can list the part numbers I used from West Marine. I need to get me a Jolly Roger too.

Mar 8, 2005
Part numbers

Part numbers would be nice, save a lot of time looking around.......Thanks

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Got a pen? I got numbers.

50 star flag - 5456843 yacht ensign flag - 5456900 3/4" x 18" teak staff - 272591 rail flag mount - 4763397 I used solid brass screw in eyes and 3/4" split rings to attach the flag to the staff. They sell a kit, but the bottom clip is white plastic and looks cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.