Other pump resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Scheier

On our 1991 Hunter 28, the head plunger became difficult to pump. We were spending a week in the Sacramento River Delta, and away from our regular service areas, so I put a little vegitable oil down the head and it helped. It immediately freed up and seems to work fine. This was before I read your article not to use oil. Is there any lubricant which works best without putting a film on the tank?

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

A couple of questions

Had your head previously been easy to pump, then suddenly seemed to bind? Or has it been gradually getting stiffer? Is the head as old as the boat? If the answers are yes, no, yes...then I suspect it's long past time to rebuild it...and while you're about it, lubricate the pump well with a good teflon grease. But if the answers are no, yes, no...I suspect a problem with the head itself...and if it's a Jabsco, it's prob'ly a glitch in the dry/flush valve which Jabsco knows about and they will replace the valve--if not the whole pump--if you call them.

D

Doug

Need a 1989 Hunter

Saw a 89. Liked the improvements. Now if I can only find one in good shape to buy. jonesy7068@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.