Osmose problems with Hunter 30 T ?

Klaus

Mar 15, 2015
Dehler 31 Germany
Hello everybody,

I am from Germany and joined this forum because I want to buy a Hunter 30 T from 1992. Before I had a Dehler and joined a Dehler forum in Germany and I am very glad to find this one.

Does anybody knows about problems with Osmose with Hunter boats ? I would sail it in the Baltic Sea. I have found very interesting information here about the 30 T that I will consider when I visit the boat next saturday ( holding tank ).

I would be very appreciate if I can get some comments.

Thanks a lot and best regards from Hamburg, Germany

Klaus

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Greetings Klaus
Our '91 30T is a very solid boat and we have sailed her for 7 years now. Are you referring to the blisters that can form on the hull? Ours did not have any when we bought it but the hull had new gel coat two years before (hurricane damage repair I think). No blisters now either.

I think the original holding tank may have been built of metal. The ships log showed it was leaking and was replaced with a plastic/composite tank when the boat was 16 years old. It is easily accessible through a large deck panel in the port aft locker. I removed it to inspect it and replace the sanitation hoses a few years ago. The tank hold down straps had rusted away.

I did "upgrade" the toilet sea water plumbing. The toilet bowel rim is an inch or so below the waterline and there was no vented loop in the water inlet!!! On our first night aboard the bilge pump woke me due to the sea water flowing in from the overfilling toilet. I must have left the switch on the jabsco toilet in the "fill" position - ugh.

Everything else has been the usual maintenance with a vessel that stays moored in a slip in saltwater all year. Feel free to private message me if you would like more detail.
Good Luck
Dan

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I had some blisters on my old 30T but fixed them and no big deal. I also replaced the holding tank with a custom 22 gal. tank. It was a great boat.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
No big issue here

Ours is new to us (a 1989) but when we pulled it our of the water there were only 4 tiny blisters. None were open and the surveyor suggested leaving them alone. that's what I did, however I did refinish the keel including new barrier coat because of some red rust stains showing.

Ken

Attachments

Feb 17, 2012
Hunter 30T Shorewood Yacht Club
I own a Hunter 30T 1991. Solid boat but only been in fresh water. Had one other owner that bought the boat new. I know him and the boat was well cared for. No major issues.