Oscillating Multi Tool for Repair Work

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
For some of the small cuts I need to make in wood or fiberglass where a circular saw or recip saw would be too much I was thinking of picking up an oscillating multi-tool this weekend. The bonus is the triangular sanding pads and power-scraper blade vs. just buying a Jig saw.

So I've heard great things about the Festool Vecturo multi-tool and I was mesmerized by the video on the Festool website... until I saw the price and my butt puckered up like a snare drum.

So after a quick Google search I am considering the Milwaukee or DeWalt L-ion cordless multi-tools. I have impact drivers from both of these brands so I already have 2 each of the same type L-ion batteries. I have noticed the Milwaukee seems to pack more punch but the DeWalt batteries seem to last longer. Makes sense since the Milwaukee is obviously using more power. I don't think battery life is a huge concern to me since I am working indoors with the charger close by.

Anyway, just looking for opinions and/or experiences from others. I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee, but I have many DeWalt power tools and most have never failed me. I know the Festool and Fein tools are superior, but I'm not spending more on this tool than what a new mast would cost me ;-)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have had a Dremel since it came out. It's the next best thing! You need to get ALL the blades but it's worth it. I use scraper blades to quickly cut through sealants and wood for both wood and fiberglass. It is an indispensable tool. I used it at home before the boat and I can't live without one now. Pick a brand but definitely get one.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Check either Home Depot or Lowes for Dermel brand of the same tool. I like corded tools even though dragging along an extension cord is extra equipment. At least there are no batteries to wear down or recharge. The Dermel is less expensive, but does a reasonable job. The Fein is a better tool overall. You might find any of the brands on ebay. May depend on how quickly you need the tool.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Fien is the best of the lot after all the were the developer of the tool. Get a dremel carbide blade and you are good to go

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What ever you go with, see if there is a battery eliminator for the tool. Or, if you are willing to try a project, build one. This way you will have the battery ready when you need it. Other times you can use a battery eliminator to power the tool.

(I know you know this, but just in case someone reading does not. A battery eliminator is nothing more than a case that looks like the regular battery but has a DC power supply is side. One just connects it to 110v and it is like a regular home tool.)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I bought an oscillating saw from Harbor Freight 12 months ago for my renovation on my H30. I found it to be the most useful tool I have except for a drill. I buy HF tools if it may be a one time only kind of deal. Well this thing has been a life saver. For $19 it has been going strong for 12 months now. When it shoots craps I will invest in a higher quality one since it has so many uses. HF is great for tools that you may not use much. If you find you do use it a lot, then upgrade later.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
FWIW...
I too would like to own the Festool...

However, since I am not earning my living building or repairing boats, I bought a Bosch battery powered multi tool and am very pleased with it.

Scott

Sep 24, 1997
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, Md
Thanks Brian

I've had all kinds of battery equip over the years and have never heard of a battery eliminator before.:doh::lastweek: Where please and how much?

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I wouldn't even consider giving up my multi tool. Inside boats, or inside houses, either one. Invaluable.

Personally I own a Porter Cable version I bought it because at the time it was the ONLY one that had a quick change blade system- no allen wrench needed.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Like Kito, I bought a Harbor Freight one about 5 years ago. It has been a great tool and still runs fine. If this one dies, I will buy their variable speed one. The HF tools are not so good but the universal fit ones at Lowes or Depot work great. (tools = attachment blades for the vibrator)

Last edited:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have a Milwaukee multitool and I am very pleased with it.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Scott, if one does not exist, you can build one. Most of these tools use 18vdc. It will be the current that you will need to find. Should be simple enough. But if you have an old battery that is kaput, you can take the innards out and put in the 18vdc power supply. Voila, you now have a batter eliminator. Improvise, adapt, overcome. LOL

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
HAve a dremal but any brand works..would get a rockwell if getting new as thelightand universal chuck is most helpful. There aremore usez than i can imagine
best tool for removing old thru hulls

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Like Kito, I bought a Harbor Freight one about 5 years ago. It has been a great tool and still runs fine. If this one dies, I will buy their variable speed one. The HF tools are not so good but the universal fit ones at Lowes or Depot work great.
i agree.

I bought a harbor freight model as soon as they came out... I wanted to try the concept of the tool before i invested in the expensive model.
it still works great. i have since bought 2 more from harbor freight.... not because any of them failed, but because i want one on my truck, one in my shop, and one on the boat..

even though i do a lot of work on the boat, i have no need for a circular saw. the oscillating tool does an excellent job no matter if its a long cut or thru thick wood.
i can not imagine how the fein tool could do it any better..... it may last longer, but the harbor freight ones are cheap enough that you can have several....

but as an important power tool to own, they are second only to the drill:D...

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes

there is only one good brand everything else is distance second place
X2 for Fein. The problem with the other brands is they are not heavy enough and vibrate. Not only does that make your hand go numb sooner, but all the vibration that is going into your hand is vibration that the end of the tool is not doing. At one point I actually taped a hammer to the side of a cheaper brand tool, just to make it work better. The Fein is expensive, but worth it to do the job right.

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
X3 for Fein. Remember they held the paten and when it ran out there was a rush to copy. It is probably my most used power tool in my arsenal. Their method of quick change the tool bits is hands down the best with no tools required. Their saw bits are also superior to some of the box store brands but pricey. Oh, and the 15 ft cord is really nice!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
there is only one good brand everything else is distance second place
Amen to that....

You can borrow my crappy Harbor Freight multi-tool. If you don't return it, don't expect a call from me. It is worth less than the long distance call.;)

You can borrow my Dremel multi-tool. If you don't return it I might mention it the next time I see you. Not worth hassling you over.

You can borrow my Milwaukee M12 multi-tool. You will get calls until I get it back...

You WILL NOT borrow my Fein......!:D:D:D:D

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Amen to that....

You can borrow my crappy Harbor Freight multi-tool. If you don't return it, don't expect a call from me. It is worth less than the long distance call.;)

You can borrow my Dremel multi-tool. If you don't return it I might mention it the next time I see you. Not worth hassling you over.

You can borrow my Milwaukee M12 multi-tool. You will get calls until I get it back...

LOL!!!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Amen to that....

and thats the truth mister :D