Origo stove tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I posted this tip last year in the "Salty Sailors" forum but never took any pics of it until yesterday.
This tip applies to anyone who has an Origo or similar canister type boat stove on board. With the price of denatured alcohol these days it behooves you to try and conserve fuel in any feasible way possible.

Generally, these stove canisters have flexible round rubber type gaskets that keep the alcohol from evaporating from the canister when the stove is not in use and when you want to use the stove, you need to open the cover and remove the gasket and light the stove after closing the cover and opening the knob.
When you get through using the stove, you're supposed to let the stove cool down before putting the gasket on the canister. A lot of times I would forget about the cover and during the interim I can imagine that a lot of alcohol evaporated.
Some stores are getting $5.95 a quart for denatured alcohol and the canisters hold a quart.
So what I've been doing is keeping a cold damp rag handy and when I'm done with the stove, I open the cover and cool the canister down with the rag and put the gasket in place with a weight on top of it. Usually these stoves will stay open on a flat surface but my stove sits in a shallow recess and I had to make a stove lid holder out of a piece of Teak to keep it open. It's probably a good idea to have something to keep it from closing prematurely anyway. Anyway, once the inner part of the stove lid has cooled down you can remove the weight from the gasket and the propping stick, and close the stove. Oh by the way,-- you can buy Klean Strip S-L-X denatured alcohol at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $15 a gallon which is cheaper than buying it by the quart at the other stores and it says right on the can, "Also for boat stoves."
Joe

Attachments

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
It lit really good after I took that rubber seal off. Plenty of heat too!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
They always light better when you remove the rubber, but don't put it back on a hot canister until you cool off the canister. Those rubber gaskets were selling for $4. I don't know what they're getting for them now. The denatured alcohol for this stove is very expensive. Most stores sell it for between $5 and $6 a quart but you can buy it by the gallon at Home Depot for a whole lot less money. Just look for SLX Denatured Alcohol in a one gallon tin can at Home Depot. I used to pay $9.95 a gallon for True Heat Boat Stove Alcohol years ago at Benny's. I guess that those days are gone.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Trinkka said:
They always light better when you remove the rubber, but don't put it back on a hot canister until you cool off the canister. Those rubber gaskets were selling for $4. I don't know what they're getting for them now. The denatured alcohol for this stove is very expensive. Most stores sell it for between $5 and $6 a quart but you can buy it by the gallon at Home Depot for a whole lot less money. Just look for SLX Denatured Alcohol in a one gallon tin can at Home Depot. I used to pay $9.95 a gallon for True Heat Boat Stove Alcohol years ago at Benny's. I guess that those days are gone.

The west marine by me sells it for 14/qt! I know what ion my list next shopping trip to home depot!

Btw, the gaskits are currently about $5 ea from defender, just had to replace them both...

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The west marine by me sells it for 14/qt! I know what ion my list next shopping trip to home depot!

Btw, the gaskets are currently about $5 ea from defender, just had to replace them both...
West Marine's prices are ridicules. They stuck me for $1.99 foot for 30' of RG8X coaxial cable just last month. I needed it in a hurry for my mast and they were the only ones carrying it in large quantities. They're really out to screw their customers.
I've been to Defender Marine and they're pretty reasonable.

Swego.com http://www.swego.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=72 gets $10.37 for two canister gaskets. I've bought some stuff for my Origo through them and they are pretty decent. I had a stripped pot holder bolt and they sent me a new one free. If you had an Origo canister stove without a flame diffuser, they would send you two of them free.
Years ago I was lucky to pick up a single burner Origo 1500 in a junk store for only $5.00 one day. I pulled my money out of my wallet faster than a hobo on a hot dog and reaped a great prize. It only needed a canister gasket and a flame diffuser.
I've been using my Origo two burner 3000 on my boat for years but I think I'm going to start using the single burner on the boat. I only use one burner now because of the high cost of fuel anyway. They are a great stove in my book.
At any rate, if you can leave the stove propped open after each use, cool the top of the canister down with a cold wet rag, and place the gasket on the canister with a weight on it, you can conserve alcohol.
Joe

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
The Origo 1500 worked great this weekend, we made some shrimp gumbo! Thanks for the tips!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The Origo 1500 worked great this weekend, we made some shrimp gumbo! Thanks for the tips!
It was my pleasure! :dance:
I just put my Origo 1500 in my boat and brought my 3000 in the house. I used the 3000 yesterday when we lost power during Irene's visit.

Shrimp Gumbo! That sounds great! My wife has a great recipe for Shrimp Mozambique that I love.

I like the Origo 1500 but it's kind of narrow and the adjustable pot holders aren't wide enough to accommodate my Stanley Ovenette stove top oven. I don't think it's wide enough for my Burton Stove Top Grill. So consequently I'm going to have to figure out a way to use these two cooking utensils because I use them constantly on my boat. Maybe I can bend the pot holders to make these things fit on my stove. I really don't know. Keep your eyes peeled for a Stanley or a West Bend Ovenette in the flea markets and yard sales. They were made back in the 1950s and they are indispensable on a boat.
The stove top grills can be found everywhere. I have one made of stainless steel with an Aluminum cooking dome. You can't beat these grills for toast or cooking hot dogs and steak. You need to be careful when cooking hamburgers on it because of a possible flare up. Hamburgers can make a mess of the grill that requires a soft bristle brush to get the dome clean.
Next to sailing and hanging out on my boat, I really enjoy cooking on board. Have a great boating season!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.