Origo Stove Parts

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... I poked about 5 holes in the bottom of it with an ice pick. It acts like a funnel because of the the taper and it never rusts. .
How do you and the soup cans stop flow when the canister is full to the top? Easy to control with the soap bottle filler.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
How do you and the soup cans stop flow when the canister is full to the top? Easy to control with the soap bottle filler.
Never a problem for me because I have it all on a scale as I described earlier and pour in the alcohol to the precise weight that makes the canister full.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
My use is infrequent enough that the absorbent containers are usually dry. One Solo cup full is less than the capacity of the container so I've not had an overflow. In fact just so I don't waste alcohol I usually only fill the cup half way.

Since I have the oven and a Heat Pal I've always got a spare container that I can swap out if I need a fresh one while the used one is too warm to refill.

BTW, regarding usage: we bought a Teflon griddle that sits on top of the pot holders. One burner heats the whole surface. I make scrambled eggs, sausage and pancakes all at once.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I use a funnel to put fuel I into a dish soap bottle, then fill the stove from the dish bottle with on spillage
OK, so back to the turkey baster method argument.

I open the can in the sink (avoids spillage on the counter), and fill up the turkey baster. As I lift the baster, the atmospheric pressure inside/outside the baster equalizes, and it says in the baster, similar to putting your finger on a straw full of water. I now leisurely place the canister at 45 degrees, over the sink, and simply "inject" the fuel into the canister, while looking for evidence that the canister is becoming full. No "dripping" required. Super easy, and even better... NO DANGER of spilled fuel!! I can do it heeled over, if necessary.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
BTW, regarding usage: we bought a Teflon griddle that sits on top of the pot holders. One burner heats the whole surface. .
Be careful with Teflon. When it burns, it gives off toxic gasses. A buddy of mine left a Teflon pan with bacon & eggs on the stove one morning when he went out to the garage to grab something. He got tied up in there for a while & when he went back into the house, his cat was dead from the fumes.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
So, I lucked out at the annual Pompano Beach Marine Flea Market this weekend, and found another set of pot retainers. They are a slightly different gauge, but they fit, and will work.
2018-01-20 13.02.37.jpg

Now all I need to do is decide if I am going to pay WM's ridiculous price for a new knob, or buy something aftermarket.

Amazon Universal Stainless Steel Round Gas Stove Knobs

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Now all I need to do is decide if I am going to pay WM's ridiculous price for a new knob, or buy something aftermarket....
Seems you could find a knob at a hardware or box store that has those multiple shelves of slide-out drawers with all sorts of things. I know my True Value has them.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@pateco - Did you call that source I gave you? I talked to him today and he said he has about 9 stoves. He also has some winches.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
@pateco - Did you call that source I gave you? I talked to him today and he said he has about 9 stoves. He also has some winches.
I spoke with him, but he didn't have any stoven then. I left my number with him. have him call me about the knob, and any winches.

Apr 18, 2017
Hunter 26.5 Brick, New Jersey
This isn’t exactly on top is, but in regards to your Origo Stove, what about the heat it generates Obote the stove? At home I have a hood to vent, on the charter boat we leased the galley stove had a hood above, with a chimney to vent outside...is it safe to light a stove inside the boat without a vent above to carry away the heat of cooking? Else why a separate grill on deck? She is small, 27’, a one burner alcohol stove, but even so...right now I’m debating ordering a pot holder for the stove as she really rocks and rolls, this River is so choppy, I can’t even imagine food staying on either the stove or grill...but I have to have my coffee in the morning...

Aug 22, 2017
This isn’t exactly on top is, but in regards to your Origo Stove, what about the heat it generates Obote the stove? At home I have a hood to vent, on the charter boat we leased the galley stove had a hood above, with a chimney to vent outside...is it safe to light a stove inside the boat without a vent above to carry away the heat of cooking? Else why a separate grill on deck? She is small, 27’, a one burner alcohol stove, but even so...right now I’m debating ordering a pot holder for the stove as she really rocks and rolls, this River is so choppy, I can’t even imagine food staying on either the stove or grill...but I have to have my coffee in the morning...
I have the same set up on my 26.5. I only use the stove when the companionway hatch is open & the forward portion is flipped up at least 30⁰. That gives a fair amount of ventilation. I don't use the stove under sail unless conditions are very favorable, like a downwind run in 10 knots.

If you are just doing a cup or two of coffee, you can probably get away with a lot more as long as you are using a closed top kettle & have some sort of guide rails to hold the kettle in place. Mine doesn't have guide rails

Aug 22, 2017
... while we were cooking, and overheated the cheap plastic replacement knob on the left burner which then melted and fell off. LOL...
I would like to get an additional set of pan retainers, and a replacement knob for our stove....
If you haven't already gotten a knob that you like, I can probably spin one down out of a piece of aluminum bar stock that I have kicking around in the shop. If you send me a picture of the shaft end of the knob & some measurements, it should be a 5-minute job for me. Those West Marine prices are obscene.

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
Apologies for the thread drift, but this seems to be the right crew for this question
I have been looking for a Origo 3000 - the two burner model. The only place i can find it is on EBay shipping from Latvia with $100 bucks for shipping.
Is this model still being manufactured?
It doesn't seem to be on the Dometic website.
Does anyone know of another source? Or the Latvian exchange rate?
Thanks.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Hey Stroke, my guess is you are on the Metedeconk river where there is a lot of boat traffic. My advice is to go to the closest Dunkin Donuts, or the Rainbow diner if your close.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
As a chemist, I prefer my ethanol (denatured alcohol is simply ethanol with additives to make it unpleasant to drink) to be stored in something other than plastic, but the booze companies obviously see nothing wrong with it. Other alcohols have come in plastic containers for a long time.
It's my understanding that burning ethanol creates a residue on these kinds of stoves. The main additive used for denatured alcohol is methanol, which apparently helps eliminate this. I actually burn pure methanol in my stove and was told that is the best by the manufacturer of my stove, Kenyon.

I certainly do not know if this applies to the Origo or not, just letting you know what I was told about my alcohol stove.

dj

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
For storing and filling I've always liked the MSR fuel bottles. They are clearly labeled as dangerous, extremely durable, have child proof caps, and a small diameter opening with a rounded lip that minimizes spills.

Apr 18, 2017
Hunter 26.5 Brick, New Jersey
Hey Stroke, my guess is you are on the Metedeconk river where there is a lot of boat traffic. My advice is to go to the closest Dunkin Donuts, or the Rainbow diner if your close.
Yeah, is this River the worst spot to have a slip on? We’ve been here one season, and the damage inflicted on the boats here was astounding during the two storms last year...I lost my VHF antenna, my boat step, and the shore power cable ripped right out of the socket...