Original boom length of DS2? Main sail spec?

PCUSA

Feb 8, 2018
Mariner 19 stoney park
Hi,
I am new to DS2 and got a boat needs work. I was told the previous owner likes DS1 setup so he reconfigured some features on the DS2, basically the triangle traveler attached to the end of boom. Maybe this is better for control the main sail using less strength? Anyway, I got the boat only with main sail, no jib. I found some spec on sailboatdata and DSbylaw3 stating boom length is about 10 ft. Mine is 11.5'. I am curious on the original length of the boom. I am guessing 10.5' since the racing bylaw 3 said max main sail foot is 10'. My main sail was not original either, it's foot length is only 8.5'. So it is smaller. I know I need to make a jib sail but I really hate to make the more complicated main sail. My main sail has FOGH Apollo logo on it. Guess have to live with it for a while. Luckily, the main sail match the luff of the mast, 20'. Maybe I should called this Apollo sail as a trainer sail.
If you know the original DS2,please help. Thanks.
PC

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
See my post In answer to your post on the Day Sailers page. Unless you are racing, I wouldn't really worry if the boom is a little longer than original.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That isn't for a traveler, your DS II had a so-called "Crosby-Style Mainsheet". mainsheet starts at bail on bottom of block at aft end of boom, goes to one block on stern corner, then across to other block and back up to block on end of boom, then forward to single block on boom about mid-boom, then down to block with camcleat on aft end of centerboard trunk. I posted a diagram of this style mainsheet on the DAYSAILERs page of this forum.

Last edited: