ordor when flushing forward head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Peggy,

about 3 months ago I just completed replacing the holdiong tank and all sanitation hose from both heads to the holding tank both heads share the same holding tank on my Hunter 40.5 the aft head is an electric head and we never get any ordor when flusbing but if we use the forward head I have two issues;
1. there is now back pressure when flushing to the point if flips the valve I have to hold the lever on dry to flush and there is still back pressure when pumping and there is a distinct "wosh" sound, this was not a problem prior to replacing the holding tank and sanitation hose.

2. there is a very strong ordor which seems to come from the aft head (electric) when the forward head (Par manual ) is flushed.

Any suggestions you can offer in correcting these 2 issues??

Thanks much,
Capt. Ron
S/V Wind Dreamer
New Bern. NC

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Tank vent is blocked

And, from your description, it also sounds like that has SERIOUSLY pressurized the tank ...there is now back pressure when flushing to the point if flips the valve I have to hold the lever on dry to flush and there is still back pressure when pumping and there is a distinct "wosh" sound..."

WHY would you continuing using the toilets in the face of increasing back pressure that makes it obvious SOMEthing is very wrong??? You're lucky that it hasn't either erupted in your face or worse yet, burst the tank! Of course you have odor in the other toilet...gasses in the tank are trying to escape anywhere they can!

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the connection to the tank, both the tank vent fitting and that end of the vent line. You only mention replacing the head discharge hoses, not the tank discharge line (I can't imagine leaving that one because it's almost always the first to become permeated with odor) or the vent line...So start by scraping out the thru-hull with a screwdriver or whatever works. If that's only blockage, the relief of pressure should create a spew out the vent. If it doesn't, look for a kink in the vent line...if there's a filter in the vent line it's highly likely to be the culprit. Since you've only recently replaced the tank, it's unlikely that a blockage could be at that end, but should be checked anyway. However, before you take any hose connections apart, open the deck pumpout cap...I wouldn't be downwind and I'd have a hose at the ready when you do.

Do NOT use the toilet again until you've found the problem and fixed it! And do NOT attempt to pump out or dump the tank until you've cleared the vent...you won't be able to because, without a source of air to replace contents as they're being pumped out, the pump will only pull a vacuum that won't allow but a gallon or two to be removed.

Btw...it has nothing to do with your problem, but...if your forward toilet is a Par, it's so old that Jabsco no longer even offers a service kit for it...it's long past time to replace it.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
pressure

Ok,

I will trouble shoot as per your suggestions, and will replace the discharge hose, and if I can access the vent hose I will replace it as well after I check for any possible vent blockage at both ends.

Thanks much,
Ron

And, from your description, it also sounds like that has SERIOUSLY pressurized the tank ...there is now back pressure when flushing to the point if flips the valve I have to hold the lever on dry to flush and there is still back pressure when pumping and there is a distinct "wosh" sound..."

WHY would you continuing using the toilets in the face of increasing back pressure that makes it obvious SOMEthing is very wrong??? You're lucky that it hasn't either erupted in your face or worse yet, burst the tank! Of course you have odor in the other toilet...gasses in the tank are trying to escape anywhere they can!

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the connection to the tank, both the tank vent fitting and that end of the vent line. You only mention replacing the head discharge hoses, not the tank discharge line (I can't imagine leaving that one because it's almost always the first to become permeated with odor) or the vent line...So start by scraping out the thru-hull with a screwdriver or whatever works. If that's only blockage, the relief of pressure should create a spew out the vent. If it doesn't, look for a kink in the vent line...if there's a filter in the vent line it's highly likely to be the culprit. Since you've only recently replaced the tank, it's unlikely that a blockage could be at that end, but should be checked anyway. However, before you take any hose connections apart, open the deck pumpout cap...I wouldn't be downwind and I'd have a hose at the ready when you do.

Do NOT use the toilet again until you've found the problem and fixed it! And do NOT attempt to pump out or dump the tank until you've cleared the vent...you won't be able to because, without a source of air to replace contents as they're being pumped out, the pump will only pull a vacuum that won't allow but a gallon or two to be removed.

Btw...it has nothing to do with your problem, but...if your forward toilet is a Par, it's so old that Jabsco no longer even offers a service kit for it...it's long past time to replace it.

May 9, 2011
Hunter 1994 40.5 Ponce Inlet FL
Re: pressure

Ron,

Just ordered my tank for our 40.5 from triple M.
Second week in August is our sewage holiday:)
What hose did you use from the forward head? Any special headaches running that one?
Did you install a tank level gauge? Internal or external?

I cant wait for the stench to go away:) !

Status
Not open for further replies.