Opinions Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I am looking at a new sump/bilge pump for our head sink/shower. Does anyone have opinions on the "WHALE’S NEW SUPERSUB SMART 650". It looks like the latest & greatest technology, but do they work. The sensor for the high water is built in and electronic. This is what I hope really works. The actual pump has worked, but the "Float Switch" has failed twice in the last 3 years.

I am not concerned about the price as much as the reliability.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Have you considered a manual Whale diaphragm pump? They will never fail because of a faulty switch or a poor wire connection or a dead battery.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I have come to rely on

The electronic bilge pump switches, but I tend to shy away from any pumps with the built in float switches. My fear is that if the switch fails, I will not be able to run the pump manually, which is as good as the entire unit failing. But I have found that the electronic switches have been, for me at least, much more reliable than the standard float switch.

Dec 2, 1999
Ross: It would be very unlikely that my better half would be pumping out the shower sump as she is trying to shower.

The last two products that I have used for this system have been from Rule. They will probably be the last bilge pumps that I purchase from them.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Steve, you're the second person to say you've found the float switch in a Whale sump pump unreliable

That tells me that the pump is great, but you may want to investigate more reliable float switches.

I've always considered Whale to be the best...hoping their float switches are only an aberration and not an indication that Whale is trying to join Jabsco at the bottom of the food chain.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Ross: It would be very unlikely that my better half would be pumping out the shower sump as she is trying to shower.

The last two products that I have used for this system have been from Rule. They will probably be the last bilge pumps that I purchase from them.
Maybe you need more sump capacity. ;)

Dec 2, 1999
Peggie:

The issue has been with Rule pump/switch. I have not used the Whale Products and was asking about the reliability.

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Peggie:

The issue has been with Rule pump/switch. I have not used the Whale Products and was asking about the reliability.
Steve, I have no opinion, however, I am following this thread as I see that I will be dealing with this same issue soon.

Dec 2, 1999
Mike:

If I do not get any negative responses on these units I plan on trying one out. I will let you know.

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
Float switches suck

I've been through several.

I'm with Nice N Easy. I've ditched all my float switches for the capacitive electronic type. I've got one in the bilge and one in the shower sump. Both are eight years old and neither has failed.

I don't recall ever having a pump fail.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have the whale as a replacement but have not installed it as yet. In rebuttal to Nice and easy's remark, it has a three wire hook up so a manual operation is possible if the float switch should fail,

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
Yeah but,

I have the whale as a replacement but have not installed it as yet. In rebuttal to Nice and easy's remark, it has a three wire hook up so a manual operation is possible if the float switch should fail.

what if you're not there to throw the switch?

Dec 2, 1999
The way mine is currently wired allows the pump to run with or without the "water pump" switch in the on position if the float switch is tripped (that is what the problem is right now). When the power is on for the water pump, the shower bilge is running (constantly). When we turn off the water pressure, the show sump stops pumping.

I will be picking up the Whale unit this weekend and we will let you know about the wiring and/or any issues once it is installed.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
I installed one of the new Whales in my Hunter 260. The original installation sucked: designed to leave 3" of water sloshing around under the aft berth all of the time. The Whale could be mounted much lower and sucked it down much lower. The automatic was just fine and saved installation hassles. It's supplied switch set provided ON automatic, OFF, and momentary manual operation. I'm almost sorry I sold the boat. I WILL be buying one for the Mac 25 I am currently sailing. Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.