Opinions on auto pilots for 37.6 Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Beggs

I just purchased a 1996 37.6 Hunter and wanting to put an auto pilot on it. Any thoughts on what is a good model for this boat? I had a autohelm 4000 for a 31' Hunter that I had. Loved it! I'm presently thinking of the ST5000. Seems a little on the high side, but if it's going to work well and there is no other alternitives, I have no problem with purchasing it.

C

Charles Wolfe

Autopilot and 376

I don't know what displacement the 376 has. I thought it was slightly less than the 37.5 which I have. Mine displaces 16500 and my 4000+ works great. The interesting thing is that it works better on the 37.5 than it did on my Catalina 34 which only displaced 12,000 lbs. In fact, my boat weighed 18000 lbs. on the slings when it was surveyed. I attribute the difference to having less weather helm, better balance and to the gods. I'll bet there are 376 owners out there with the 4000+ to chime in and confirm my thoughts. I know that 16500 is the max limit the autopilot is rated but I assume there is some safety factor built into that estimation and, again, there are other factors to consider. ChuckWolfe@mail.com

B

Bob Miller

Autohelm 4000 on 37C

I have had an Autohelm 4000 (predecesor to the ST 4000 and ST 4000+) on my H37C for over 10 years, now, and it is still serving well. The publized weight for my boat is 18,000 lbs. Actual weight is probably more. More than the weight, my problem is that while cruising under power, the wheel pulls real hard to port. This torque caused the posts for the idler wheels inside the steering ring to break after about a year and a half of use. I modified the posts by drilling down the center and installing a stainless bolt down through the center. I did this on all of the good posts as well as the broken post. Haven't had a problem with that ever since. The only other problem I've had is that the plastic clutch handle finally broke after about 10 years of service. That cost me only about $5.00 to replace (The price has gone up to $10.00, now). As far as performance, it will not handle down wind swells - not fast enough to respond to the yawing (Not many autopilots are fast enough). Generally, I have had very good service from this autopilot, but if I ever have to replace it, I will probably go to the ST5000. I would like to know how much faster the ST5000 is over the ST4000.

B

Bob Knott

Bigger is better!

Try the autohelm 6000+ I put it on my H380 and it handles just about anything. Fair price compared to B&G's etc.. but I wouldn't leave port without it! Enjoy Bob Knott H380

D

Don Alexander

Auytohelm 6000

I have an Autohelm 6000 and it is wonderful- same setup as the 7000 but smaller display. Handles downwind swells very well but we noticed a loud graunching noise from the steering console under these conditions. Eventually traced this to the platform under the wheel shaft to which the pilot's rotary drive is bolted. This was flexing sufficiently to allow the chain to jump over the sprocket teeth. Not a fault of the pilot but a fault of the boat. I solved it by adding two vertical aluminium posts between the holding bolts on the wheel pedastal and the fibreglass plate to which the actuator is bolted. Now all is very rigid and will take anything in the way of loading. Incidentally I run a nav program from my GPS and just leave the pilot to it. Hardly ever hand steer - just need to be careful not to run into all the buoys. I guess I am a lazy *($& Regards, Don

J

JFun

Autohelm 5000

We ordered our 376 with the AH 5000 and are very satisfied with it. Our last boat (Ericson 35 at 13,000 lb.) had an AH 4000 and I felt it was at the upper limit of its performance, especially with a following sea. No such problem with the AH 5000, plus it is Quiet. We did have a problem with the AH 5000 interfering with the shop's compass, because of the ferris sprocket on the shaft of the wheel. We also had to order a 6 in. collar to raise up the compass away from the electric motor. Other than that, no problems

D

Doug

Linear or Rotary Drive?

I am also considering an autopilot for my 1998 376. I believe the design is for use of a rotary drive unit mounted in the steering console. I am curious whether this is better than a linear drive attached to the quadrant? I have the Whitlock Mamba system. I am leaning towards the Autohelm 6000, however, the 5000 is rated for I believe 18,000 lbs. and should be sufficient. But the 6000, although more expensive, has a higher rating and therefore more comfort during heavy weather. I appreciate your thoughts. Doug s/v Tenacious Chesapeake Bay

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Otto

Steve, I just finished installing a AH st6000+ on my 380, and so far is working splendidly. Like Don, I have it interfaced with the GPS and my speed and depth instruments. Will let you know well it really works at the end of May when I get back from the Bahamas. By the way Bob, I did the installation myself with some assistance from my dockmates. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again H380

Status
Not open for further replies.