Opinions Neil Pryde Sails

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
So, what's your experiences with NP Sails? Good, bad indifferent? Want to hear it all.

Quality
Price
Longevity
Service
Etc

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have Pryde sails, original equipment on my 323. They are typical OEM sails average cut, and overall reasonably well made. I would say that they are ok as cruising sails, but probably not for racing. I would imagine that if you worked directly with one of their local lofts and knowing the conditions where you sail, they could provide you with a reasonably good set of sails to meet your requirements.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our First 36.7 has a set of performance Dacron cruising sails, a roachy main and a rolling 110% jib with vertical battens.. While not as nice as our racing sails, they are great for day to day sailing, and we chew up any other 'white sail' boat on Lake Superior going upwind. They are well built and durable.

Last edited:

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
No to Neil Pryde

I bought my B393 in 2004. It came with OEM Neil Prude sails. After the first season the UV on the genny was coming off as if it were painted on. I spoke to NP and was told that was the way it was! That the sails were built to a price point for Beneteau and that was it. They also said if I wanted better sails they could make me an excellent set of sails for a price!

Two season ago I got new sails from Mack Sails in Florida. It was a joy dealing with a local loft and the service was great, so are the sails.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our First 36.7 has a set of performance Dacron cruising sails, a roachy main and a rolling 110% jib with vertical battens.. While not as nice as our racing sails, they are great for day to day sailing, and we chew up any other boat on Lake Superior going upwind. They are well built and durable.
I'll add a point to say there were NOT the OEM delivery sails that NP makes for Beneteau... we deleted those as an option and upgraded before delivery.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So, what's your experiences with NP Sails? Good, bad indifferent? Want to hear it all.

Quality
Price
Longevity
Service
Etc
I'm on my second set of Neil Pryde sails, I was very happy with my OEM Classic full-batten sail, but shopping around at the Annapolis boat show. After talking with Bob and Tim (owners) I decided that:

1. I liked working with them - very customer focused. We had many conversations about what I liked and what I did not in the OEM.
  2. They were willing to make changes and improvements to my OEM sail to get me an improved sail at little additional cost.
  3. The price - it was outstanding.
  4. Bob Pattison designed the original sail, wrote the tuning guides and knows my boat like no other sailmaker.
  5. The sail arrived on time, and on price, and was expert installed by the local rep - Bruce Empey. A no-nonsense, old-school pro.
I now have the sweetest sailing B411 in Nappy town, and I'll meet any other at R2 on the Severn to prove it. :D

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...After the first season the UV on the genny was coming off as if it were painted on. ...

Not sure if it applies to your case, but on 323's, they reportedly had the same quick-wear-out problem. Seems the UV material had been applied wrong side out. The test was to take a Sharpie and make a line on the UV. If it got fuzzy-edged, the material was wrong-side out. It the line edges stayed crsip, it was right-side out. I don't how many of what size sails had this happen to, but NP was supposedly aware of it.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
...After the first season the UV on the genny was coming off as if it were painted on. ...

Not sure if it applies to your case, but on 323's, they reportedly had the same quick-wear-out problem. Seems the UV material had been applied wrong side out. The test was to take a Sharpie and make a line on the UV. If it got fuzzy-edged, the material was wrong-side out. It the line edges stayed crsip, it was right-side out. I don't how many of what size sails had this happen to, but NP was supposedly aware of it.
I talked to NP about this problem. They did not mention anything about the UV strip being on backwards. Did they do anything about it?

Nov 24, 2012
The 423 group has well documented problems with the NP UV cover disintegrating after 2-3 years, including mine. Instead of spending the $1k for a new sunbrella cover I opted to upgrade to a new North Dacron sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I talked to NP about this problem. They did not mention anything about the UV strip being on backwards. Did they do anything about it?
I am pretty sure the NP loft repaired if free since it was an obvious manufacturing mistake on their part. Public relations, you know.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
My 343 genoa sun cover started disintegrating after a year or two . Contacted NP. Shipped them the sail and they fixed. Price would have been cost of shipping except I opted for sunbrella cover for a few bucks more ~$100.
I am still on original sails but they are getting a little worn. Likely to go back to NP.
Joe