Open valve

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. Several. But that would also require the hose attached to the valve to leak.

Good to know where all the valves are located. Then be sure they are all in working order.

I knew my valve was old but it appeared to work smoothly and shut off the water.
3F27518C-8555-4DE1-9D3D-038594E065B1.jpeg
I started to have bad feelings about the valve. I did not know how old it was and decided the time to change it had come. I called the marina lift and they had a late evening opening. They could hang the boat over night and launch in the morning.

Call it karma or fate I grabbed the opening and made quick plans to swap out the valve. The lift went smoothly and my sailing buddy and I went quickly to work. He on the outside and me inside. I reached down to unscrew the valve and it came apart in my hands.

309E8E1D-4972-4B23-AA39-5B655C175E0B.jpeg

All that pink metal is corroded bronze. Somewhere during the life of the boat there was electrolysis corrosion happening.

I was lucky. You never know what hidden thing can get you. Had that valve given way the water coming in the 3/4 inch hole would have sunk the boat in the slip

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
On my 1988 hunter 33.5, there was an overboard discharge thru Hull fitting for the holding tank (1 1/2”) that was fitted with a gate valve. Replaced it with a ball valve soon after purchase....that’s a big hole that will sink a boat if it fails.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
It’s good practice to close all your thru hulls when you leave the boat. It only takes a few minutes and can avoid a disaster if you’re not on board. If you’re on a mooring like we are, it’s even more important to secure all your valves.
Most likely you have five valves, engine intake, toilet intake, two sink drains and a waste tank discharge.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Is there a valve on a Hunter 33.5 that will sink the boat of left open?
No more than any other boat............just make sure you know where all the valves are located and document their location, size, thru hull valve type, and make sure the connected hoses are double clamped. Make sure sink stoppers are removed when you leave the boat, disconnect shore water supply, if you have one, inventory below-waterline hoses with their installation date and write the month and year on it with a 'magic marker and consider replacement interval.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
At least on my H356 most of the intakes were in one compartment at the base of the companionway steps. That made closing them very easy. The holding tank/macerator discharge, and I think the head supply line were separate. The head supply I kept closed because we used fresh water to flush. The discharge was usually closed anyway.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
On my Hunter 33.5 - 1) Engine cooling water intake under berth in aft cabin 2) Under Galley sink 3) Under Head sink port side 4) Intake for head starboard and 5) Head offshore discharge under starboard setee. If any of these hoses or valves fail you have a potential for water ingress

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
. Make sure sink stoppers are removed when you leave the boat, disconnect shore water supply, if you have one, inventory below-waterline hoses with their installation date and write the month and year on it with a 'magic marker and consider replacement interval.
Can you give some detail on this? I normally leave the plug in the sink in the head, especially when on board to quiet the gurgling
Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Can you give some detail on this? I normally leave the plug in the sink in the head, especially when on board to quiet the gurgling............
If a sink plug is in AND the faucet is unknowingly turned to the ON position AND the boat is connected to shore water OR on-board water pump is turned on there is risk of overflowing the sink. Same issue on an RV. Why do I know?...........I once connected shore water to my fifth wheel trailer and turned the shore water supply on not knowing the kitchen sink plug was in, which overflowed onto the floor and then onto the electric front jack legs causing them to fail......expensive lesson. On the boat all the sink drain plugs are OUT, thru hull valves OPEN and checked before we turn the water on either at shore or on-board pump. Same on the trailer, except the discharge valve is always closed until we dump the tanks.

Feb 21, 2013
The issue is.......whenever you block in an energized system, e.g., sink, you need to depressure the circuit and isolate all sources of energy, in this case water source OR monitor the sink. That is one of many safety precautions I have employed in oil refineries to mitigate a safety risks.