OOPS!

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi

Well, fixing this mess is on my to-do list this spring. This happened last summer while on a cruise with my father and brother while sailing across Lake Superior. Mere moments before the explosion, I was telling my dad that we should probably think about pulling the spinnaker down. Now it's just laughing at me!

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
don't you just hate that blowing out on you ...but i must say you took that lick quite well.....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks like an easy repair, if you got it down still looking like that.

I'm very good at spot-diagnosing spinnaker damage. Sadly.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Jackdaw, it ripped a bit more on the takedown but all in the white panel. My plan is to cut out and replace the entire white panel, then sew in new edge tape, overlapping a couple of feet above and below.

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw, it ripped a bit more on the takedown but all in the white panel. My plan is to cut out and replace the entire white panel, then sew in new edge tape, overlapping a couple of feet above and below.
;-)

The trick in saving them is getting them down fast. Seems over half the damage often occurs when the sail is slow to come down. Mostly because the crew is staring at the spectacle.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE...I'm very good at spot-diagnosing spinnaker damage. Sadly.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should be called "Jack the Ripper"?

Nov 8, 2010
[QUOTE...I'm very good at spot-diagnosing spinnaker damage. Sadly.
Maybe you should be called "Jack the Ripper"?[/QUOTE]
;-)

Well I never rip them. I just pay for them. :)

Honestly I get to WATCH a lot of carnage, but only twice on our boats. On the 260 the kite got snagged on the spreader tip on the hoist and tore it top to bottom. On the 367 our bowman tore the foot tape off on a douse.

So not a bad record for literally thousand of sets, gibes, douses and miles in aggressive conditions.

I've never had one explode while up thankfully. And even more thankfully never while coaching on someone else's boat. Like yesterday - I was out with a team in 14-16 gusting to 24. We
Jib and mained it home. New crew, no need to blow something up. Plus, I assume that the owner would buy us a much cheaper dinner that night if we blew up with an $8000 spinnaker !

Danny's looks very fixable. Plus keeping happy perspective helps!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Danny you going to fix that yourself? If YES work very hard to get the curve of the panel correct. If you miss it you'll create a hard spot that will be the first place to blow out again. The original curve is designed to balance out the loads of the sail!

Where where you? What was the true wind speed?

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Jackdaw, I am planning to do the repair myself, cross your fingers for me. This happened about halfway between Bayfield and Grand Marais. Not sure what the wind speed was but it was obviously too much for this chute.