oooh, I did a baaad thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
I was trying to remove the thermostat cover on my 2QM15 Yanmar (79 H33), and even with the correct size wrench... the heads stripped.
I guess in hindsight I should have gone for one of those ez-out things, but I went for the angle grinder and ground the heads off. Well, the cover came off okay (and the bolts came out thanks to a pair of handy dandy vice grips), and boy oh boy was that thermostat shot! Anyway, in the process of grinding down the heads, the surrounding areas got a little "beaten up".
I'd like to just replace it, but Torresen lists the part as no longer manufactured. I'm awaiting a "help" email to them in trying to locate a replacement.
I'm hoping someone here might know where one be found.
My alternate plan is to break out the Dremel this time and try to clean up the hole areas so a washer and/or bolt head can get a good grip to hold the cover down.
Thanks

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I was trying to remove the thermostat cover on my 2QM15 Yanmar (79 H33), and even with the correct size wrench... the heads stripped.
I guess in hindsight I should have gone for one of those ez-out things, but I went for the angle grinder and ground the heads off. Well, the cover came off okay (and the bolts came out thanks to a pair of handy dandy vice grips), and boy oh boy was that thermostat shot! Anyway, in the process of grinding down the heads, the surrounding areas got a little "beaten up".
I'd like to just replace it, but Torresen lists the part as no longer manufactured. I'm awaiting a "help" email to them in trying to locate a replacement.
I'm hoping someone here might know where one be found.
My alternate plan is to break out the Dremel this time and try to clean up the hole areas so a washer and/or bolt head can get a good grip to hold the cover down.
Thanks
Garylinger may have the part you are looking for as he scuttled that same engine last year ......wont hurt to ask ...but if you havent messed up the machined face on the cover you may be able to weld it....i cant remember if it is cast iron or aluminum at this time but in either case you could weld it and take a die grinder with a burr and cleane it up ...be sure to ware safty glasses on that ...then take a sheet of 120 grit wet or dry sand paper and put the paper side down on the table saw surface and in a circular motion reface the gasket surface to insure a good mate on the gasket when putting it back together...hope this helps...

regards

woody

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Not sure how you could damage the housing by grinding off the bolt heads. Is your housing like the one in the picture? What part is damaged?

Attachments

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
Well... it's like this....

Not sure how you could damage the housing by grinding off the bolt heads. Is your housing like the one in the picture? What part is damaged?
Yes Ed, it's exactly like what you picture. The problem came when I tried to, basically, get a four inch tool into a three inch space. My grinder is a little bigger than the space allows so i had to go in at an angle. This caused the cut to go "askew" a bit. I went out and got a grinding wheel for my Dremel yesterday and hopefully today will be able to even things out a bit.
I should have taken a picture.
It wasn't really the housing, but more the area where the bolt head sits. Imagine instead of being flat and level it's beveled at about 45 degrees or so.
Thanks for the response though!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you have a drill press, you can buy a grinding bit in the shape of a cylinder and grind the landings with the flat end.

Status
Not open for further replies.