Only in Florida

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So, what's surprising here? That Key West has a BYOB floating Tiki Bar? It was stolen? The thief was dead drunk at the wheel? It involved a Florida Man? :beer:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I remember seeing a floating Tiki bar on the east coast, in the intercostal by Boca Grande, on a Memorial Day weekend, several years ago. They were doing a booming business! I wonder if it is the same one?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Sorry to burst your bubble, but like many "Florida Man" stories, it involved one of our visitors who thought that laws and safety don't apply once you cross the state line ... https://www.flkeysnews.com/news/local/article248501975.html

A Missouri man was jailed after police said he was found in a stolen floating tiki hut in Key West. Tyln Earl Morlang, 26, of Independence, Missouri, was intoxicated when found alone on the distinctive charter boat, which belongs to Cruisin’ Tikis, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The U.S. Coast Guard spotted the boat — basically a bar under a tiki hut on a floating deck — at about 8 a.m. Wednesday while on patrol near Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Police said Morlang was alone aboard the vessel, powered by a 30-horsepower outboard motor and available for chartered bring-your-own-booze cruise.

He was found slumped over the wheel, said FWC spokesman Bobby Dube. The boat was stolen from the Hurricane Hole marina on Stock Island. Morlang was arrested on a felony charge of grand theft with damage over $1,000 and misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and giving false identification to a law enforcement officer.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Imagine if he tried to outrun USCG. It would have looked like OJs white suv. "with speed up to 5 miles an hour" Perhaps he was heading back home, the Missouri River flows through his hometown.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Here in CA we have floating out houses, on some lakes. Never heard of one being stolen! That would be desperation.

• Ha
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you put in a holding tank and then dump it, that is illegal but if you discharge it directly into the water that is quite legal. Just don't fall overboard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That's just wrong! :huh:
Too funny. :laugh:
You must understand here on the West Coast, there is a grave concern about "Water Purity". Our fish, whales, bears, cattle, elk, cats, city sewage systems, etc. can all deposit their business in our lakes, streams, rivers, ocean, but people must use a bathroom or portapotty less we damage our water. So we have floating docks with portapotties on the lakes. They have holding tanks that are regularly emptied. Of course in bad storms there is the chance that they will over flow and their concentrated soup will be discharged much like the city sewer systems occasionally overflow.

But then the lakes get shut down...

I guess the boaters have never heard of going before going out on the lake.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Too funny. :laugh:
You must understand here on the West Coast, there is a grave concern about "Water Purity". Our fish, whales, bears, cattle, elk, cats, city sewage systems, etc. can all deposit their business in our lakes, streams, rivers, ocean, but people must use a bathroom or portapotty less we damage our water. So we have floating docks with portapotties on the lakes. They have holding tanks that are regularly emptied. Of course in bad storms there is the chance that they will over flow and their concentrated soup will be discharged much like the city sewer systems occasionally overflow.

But then the lakes get shut down...

I guess the boaters have never heard of going before going out on the lake.
Actually, there was a study at UC Irvine, perhaps still on-going, that found the greatest source of coliform bacteria in waters near the urban beaches of Southern California, evidently, was from sea gulls. So, don’t leave them out of the picture. My visit to Port San Luis in summer 2019 made clear to me of the vast contribution from California sea lions which poop everywhere. By comparison, the contribution from moored or anchored yachts thereabouts in that harbor would be minuscule. It’s never actually been established, to my knowledge, that human coliforms can survive long in seawater even if “untreated”, thus multiplying, etc. So, what health threat(s) are we shielding against along these open coasts? (Oh yeah, remember to follow the science.:huh:) Why no water-borne health threats among the waters of British Columbia where dumping is allowed, sort of.:doh: Right across the Haro Strait from the San Juans, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was one of these in Southold NY which is wine country. So riders would go from winery to winery whilst sipping wine and peddling. Problem was it was on a "Country" two lane road swollen with tourists and other wine drinkers. The peddlers would be a few feet from traffic going by at 35 to 50 mph. So far as I know there was never an accident but wasn't for lack of trying.

• Ha