Online VHF course, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2011
Macgregor 26X Toronto
I'm looking to get qualified to operate a VHF radio and don't have time to attend a class somewhere. Does anyone know of an online course and also how to get tested and certified? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Also, I've misplaced my pleasurecraft operators license and was wondering if anyone knows if, in Ontario, one can simply order a replacement card or if one has to re-take the test? Thanks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm not aware of needing a course or certification to operate a VHF radio (In the US). I remember sending in a card for registration when a I bought a VHF - non hand held. If anyone can clarify the rules regarding this I would like to know about it.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Go to the Canadian Power Squadron for information

I'm looking to get qualified to operate a VHF radio and don't have time to attend a class somewhere. Does anyone know of an online course and also how to get tested and certified? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Also, I've misplaced my pleasurecraft operators license and was wondering if anyone knows if, in Ontario, one can simply order a replacement card or if one has to re-take the test? Thanks.
A simple google search will give you this link for your required VHF Restricted Operators Certificate (maritime) - http://www.cps-ecp.ca/public.asp?WCE=C=11|K=224450|RefreshT=224450|RefreshS=Container|RefreshD=|A=Body
This is mandatory for operation of a VHF radio in Canada. They say you can order the necessary material, study it, and then write the test on line.
You can also contact the CPS for a replacement Pleasurecraft Operators Card. It's all covered on their website.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

You can order the books and study at home but will have to go in and write the test. Check on the CPS site for the local squadron and contact them for more info. Also Humber Sailing School will do the testing, but you have to go in and write.

You can usually get replacement cards with whoever you took the PCOC exam through, otherwise no one else would have a record of you taking the exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.