one of my favorite pics of my boat

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Ugh, this is not fair... Sheesh Phil, if Van Gogh had a camera ... Care to share some tips?
- Thank you. Start by getting a subscription to National Geo and study every photo in every feature article. Learn about the "rule of 3rds". Get a camera that you set to shutter priority, aperture priority, and full manual. Play around with it to really learn what changing aperture & shutter speed does to the end result. Shoot a lot - evaluate your work with a critical eye - throw away the crap before anyone else sees it :).

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
34341172325_ee4e5e49be_o (3).jpg
Everyone has a favorite photo of their boat, mine keeps changing. They took this photo last Saturday as we passed the committee boat in a double handed race. I had just had her cleaned and waxed (no black streaks), I haven't put up the bimini for the summer yet, and I'm actually at the helm for the photo.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Can I borrow your helicopter to get a photo like this of my boat? Really cool shot.
Thanks its one on my fav's as well, given to me by the previous owner. All you have to do is enter and race the Chicago to Mackinaw race, there will be a helicopter zooming around shooting and then emailing you a tempting offer, I guess they get the contact information from the race entry.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
There's a company called CoolBoatPix.com that covers races around the country with a helicopter and a bi-plane. They were in Solomons MD for Screw Pile 2014. Although I wasn't racing, I was out for a solo day sail. They circled my boat (and others), and now I have two gorgeous 16x20 prints of the boat under sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Combined2 (1021x1280).jpg
There's a company called CoolBoatPix.com that covers races around the country with a helicopter and a bi-plane. They were in Solomons MD for Screw Pile 2014. Although I wasn't racing, I was out for a solo day sail. They circled my boat (and others), and now I have two gorgeous 16x20 prints of the boat under sail.
Yeah, they got me a couple years ago. In 2010 it was $250 for each 16 X 20, or $500 for 3, I bet drones are eating into their business.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
View attachment 136122
Yeah, they got me a couple years ago. In 2010 it was $250 for each 16 X 20, or $500 for 3, I bet drones are eating into their business.
Not only are they expensive, you can't even look at the pic they select without ordering it and paying shipping charges both ways if you dont like it. Killer for me was being forced to buy 16x20 when much smaller was what we wanted.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Then either they changed policy or its a different company?

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
I know, we are no longer sailors but...
This shot was taken on our "shake down" cruise in the Pacific Northwest. This is Cattle Pass and that is Mount Baker in the background.
The amazing part of the shot is that the skies where actually clear enough to see the mountain as we passed through. It seems to rain there always!
It is a stunningly beautiful part of the world...
Bruce
IMG_0779.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great image Bruce. Enjoyed Cattle Pass last Monday. All broiling, edding, 5 knot flood current of it. But what beautiful views as the waters try to kick you about.