One more time, reefing an attached main help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
I feel really dumb but I can never get this rig down pat. I've got an attached main, no padeyes or other attachment points on my mast, and the standard Hunter 22 jiffy reefing system with two reef lines.

I can never find rigging pictures that aren't of the loose footed main with a bowline in the reef line. That just doesnt work with our sail.

I worked it out a couple of years ago, but have not been out in heavy wind much. Now I can't remember how to do it. Do I need some sort of shackle at the reef cringle?

Thanks,
John

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
not sure what you really have without a picture.... the tweo reefing lines could be for 2 sets of reef points..... or one for the front cringle and one for the rear.... we dont know from the description.....

a loose footed sail reefs just like an attached one. the front reef point has to be tied down and forward, and the rear one has to be tied down and a bit to the rear to keep the sail shape....
do a google search and click on the "images" tab at the top left of the window. you should find about all your searching for....

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I feel really dumb but I can never get this rig down pat. I've got an attached main, no padeyes or other attachment points on my mast, and the standard Hunter 22 jiffy reefing system with two reef lines.

I can never find rigging pictures that aren't of the loose footed main with a bowline in the reef line. That just doesnt work with our sail.

I worked it out a couple of years ago, but have not been out in heavy wind much. Now I can't remember how to do it. Do I need some sort of shackle at the reef cringle?

Thanks,
John
Here's your same question from 2011..... does this spark your memory? http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=134638

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
Joe I found my old posts but then saw that the video was for a loose foot main. Mine does use a hook at the front and cringles/lines at the rear.

I'm still trying to get that last link to load. Need to use my computer instead of weak 3G.

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
I got the link to load. He is tying off to a cleat on the boom. My problem is I have no cleats, padeyes, etc mounted to the boom at the aft end. The only clear if forward near the mast for the out haul.
I want an inventive idea on tying the dead end off so that it pulls straight down without me having to drill into the boom.
The second reef line is for the second reef point, sorry I left that out.

Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
Here's a line drawing for our single-line reefing, which may be clearer than my photos.
As I mentioned, I've replaced the bowline with a plastic thimble.
Our main can be loose-footed, or not - it makes no difference for the reefing.
Paul

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
John, as Paul's drawing shows, he is not tying off to cleats or pad eyes.. only to the reefing line itself.. If you run the lines from the boom tip in opposite directions, the bowline knots won't foul each other.. I think it is a fine way to tie the reef lines.. The cleat in his picture happens to be there but it is not being used.

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
That's what I needed Paul! Thanks!!!

I don't know why I couldn't work that out in my brain myself. It's so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.