One more thing about the cold....

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had an opportunity 2 weeks ago to visit my boat where she sits on the hard in Massachusetts. The weather, of course, was frigid. As I was checking boat stands, etc., I grabbed the bottom of the rudder and shook it from side to side, and felt some movement, maybe 1/8" at the bottom. I'm pretty sure there was no movement in October when I checked it last. So I'm thinking the cold shrunk the stainless steel rudder post , but not the bearings and such. I'll know for sure in May when I check again. Anybody else ever notice this?
I'm curious, too, if any C310 owners have replaced rudder bearings, and what is involved. What are the bearings made of?
Thanks, Tom

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Mine has a bit of play, when it is warm, not really concerned about it. I believe that the plastic bearing (probably Delrin) has a greater temp coefficient than stainless 316.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks for the reply, Witzend. Always good to know what other owners have experienced.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Great pics, Paul, thanks. I was thinking that if I still had the boat in Florida, I could just dig a hole under the rudder to drop it, but up in New England, I'd have to have the boat lifted.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
According to Warren Pandy, Catalina, the upper bearings are ‘MARELON’, by Forespar. Therefore, I assume, that the lower ones are of the same material.

Whilst my experiences have only been with the upper bearings and may not give you answers on your current problem, you may be interested in Warren’s recommendations (which proved to be excellent and provided the solutions).

1. When I had some groaning and rumbling in the upper part of the rudder in high seas, he gave the following advice:
[INDENT]“Make sure the 4 or 5 bolts that secure the upper Marelon* bearing to the deck are not loose or the holes in the deck "ovaled" out some. If so, let me know what you find, it's an easy correction.”[/INDENT]

I just had to tighten the bolts.

2. About 2-3 months ago I finally managed to seal the cockpit lid on the steering box, finally drying the latter. Subsequently, when we had a very dry spell with temperatures close to 40C, I had the dry groaning noise back and no tightening of bolts helped.

Warren made the correct deduction and suggested to moisten the bearing:

“The answer may be that the steering well or "box" used to be wet but is now dry. Forespar only recommends water as the only "lubricant" needed or required for the MARELON* (white special high strength "plastic" bearings) If a petroleum based grease is ever used on them it will cause the surface to swell or expand and then the bearing could be tight on the shaft, depending on the prior clearance. (they start with a minimum of .010" clearance) Try water spray or misting that well again and see if the groan goes away. Have heard of some yards that unknowingly put an oil based grease on these bearings and before long the shaft was so tight the owner had a tough time turning the wheel.

It worked.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Excellant advice, Albanach, thank you. I also have had good communications with Catalina on other issues. One time, Frank Butler himself answered the phone.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
In order for us to get to our boat on the hard, I heard yesterday it would take a 4 wheel drive vehicle! NICE.. today it is 36 out hopefully it will melt SOME Snow,. When we owned our Catalina 22 we went to California to the factory and were given a tour on an off day by Gerry Douglas who even looked up and gave a copy of the original bill of sale to us. GREAT people, that is one reason why Catalina owners are so loyal!