One more plumbing project checked off

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just finished up my water heater bypass project. Up to now, every Fall I manually disconnected the in/out lines and connected them together. Now I just flick a couple valves and I'm done. (De)commisioning the heater is eazy peazy now. The PEX isn't as "bendy" as the old PB plumbing so I had to add some fittings.
My next plumbing job is to clean out the freshwater tank with a new inspection plate and insert my 10" carbon filter into the supply line right after the water pressure pump. Pics to follow
bypass.jpg

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hi Justin, just a thought seeing the picture of your new by-pass installation. The 2 valves on the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet will need to be opened or closed at the same time, which will allow a mixture of the hot and cold water because of the pipe joining both. Been there done that and my solution has been the addition of a 3rd valve in-between the 2. As per attached pics. Summer position. Blue handle valve closed, red handle valves opened. Opposite for winter set-up.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hi Claude. Great minds think alike. The valves I used negate the need for another valve. They are diverter valves. The flow thru a valve can be diverted in either direction but not both. When I divert the hot and cold valves, water is shut off from the heater and redirected thru the bypass line. When they are turned the other way, flow goes thru the heater but not the bypass line.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Hi Claude. Great minds think alike. The valves I used negate the need for another valve. They are diverter valves. The flow thru a valve can be diverted in either direction but not both. When I divert the hot and cold valves, water is shut off from the heater and redirected thru the bypass line. When they are turned the other way, flow goes thru the heater but not the bypass line.
Do you remember the part number and manufacture of the valves you used? Nice job, I want to replicate it without the 3rd valve in the middle due to space constraints.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks! On the way to me.
Only trick you can't face them the same way. One has to face the opposite direction to get the flow to go the way you want. Blow in them and you'll see what I mean.

dhjay

Jan 8, 2021
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
Justin, can you share a link for the carbon filter you mentioned?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin, can you share a link for the carbon filter you mentioned?
This is the one that was preferred in the Practical Sailor 3 part series about cleaning up onboard water. I can get it for the same price with my veteran discount at Home Depot. At least on the HD website.

It was listed in part 3 of their 3 part series. The 10" has noticeably better flow than the 5" so I had a mission to find space for it without losing any of the admiral's space. I found it behind the seating not very far from the pump. It was perfect.

I just have to install and inspection plate on my plastic water tank so I can give it a good cleaning

20210123_123949_resized.jpg20210123_123922_resized.jpg

Last edited:

dhjay

Jan 8, 2021
Thank you! I have a great spot to mount that. I had my water tank open last spring... that was a hideous sight. Almost no particulate matter but more mildew than I'd like above the usual water line. When I commission the system this spring I will use Peggy's bleach solution shock and then go for a boisterous sail to slosh it around well.
Thanks again....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You are welcome! After seeing all the black crud in my pump screen, I'm expecting to see a mess in the tank. I have Peggy's book too. Also, part 1 of the PS series tells how to clean a tank. I've already installed a Shurflo screen filter on the vent.

dhjay

Jan 8, 2021
The H31's have the tank formed into the cabin liner in the quarter berth with a fiberglass lid. Not hard to get off; very difficult to get it to seal well. Good luck on yours!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks! My tank is in the vberth. It will be very easy to install an inspection plate on top right in the center of it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Boy, this off season is all about plumbing for me. I'd like to shorten these hose runs for a more direct sink drain flow to get rid of any low spots to clog up and trap smelly water. I have one of the upper hoses off but I think the fittings must be bonded to the hose. What flex hose would you recommend to replace these hose assemblies? They are 1 1/2" ID and need to clamp on to fittings on both ends.

hose.jpg