One last sail, alone.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
With wind gust to 35 knots out of the west, I took a rolicking sail through the Fox Island and Deer Isle Thoroughfares to Merchants Row for one last overnight. The last week in October and small craft advisories, I had the whole of Penobscot Bay in between, to myself. In fact, I didn't see another sailboat until nearly back home the next day.

Of course I had one of the more popular anchorages in Merchants Row to myself. I shared it with a loon.

The thoroughfares through the islands were peaceful and quiet. Heading off the wind through them under small headsail and mizzen, I had time to take photos such as this one in the Fox Island Thoroughfare. That's the quiet little village of North Haven on the right and Vinalhaven Island to the left. These two large islands form the wide thoroughfare, a popular waterway in season.
No boats this day though.

Heading home to windward, I needed the extra power of the reefed main. Great fun to watch the patterns splatter and thunder on the windward ports.

The wind paints a calmer picture in the lee ports with the sharp fall light in the background.

Attachments